• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How can you tell if pellets are stale?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I can't find anything on google - typical.

I just got a 2kg bag of Vetafarm Pellets today, the used by date says 23 March 12. They smell like Pellets, but they just don't seem as hard as Roudybush Pellets and it was a bit of a concern.

I am waiting until the place I get my Roudybush Pellets from has them in stock, but it won't be for another week.. (I ordered them about a week ago now, and they said in about 2 weeks they will have them in stock) so I had to get these Vetafarm Pellets, just so they have Pellets at least and I can't get Harrison's & Pretty Bird until Tuesday.

chompie_puppy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
I'm not sure how you can tell if pellets are stale, but I can tell you that Vetafarm pellets are softer then Roudybush. Vetafarm's pellets are almost like cookie crumbles. :)

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Thanks, wasn't sure, but feel better knowing they are softer. The birds love them, so that is a bonus too.. none will go to waste!

CeddysMum

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Astrid (formerly: 'featherbaby')
Thanks, wasn't sure, but feel better knowing they are softer. The birds love them, so that is a bonus too.. none will go to waste!
OK, now that that's clarified, could you just send your birdies over here so they can explain to Ceddy that Vetafarm (or any for that matter) pellets are actually Yummy! And not some inferior yucky stuff to be only used as foraging material and otherwise just stick your beak into the air over :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.