• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent How can I properly feed a budgie that lost half of his upper mandible?

Quan

Moving in
Hello! My budgie has lost a part of his upper mandible in February. Recently, he started not being able to de-husk seeds. Now, I am feeding him dehusked millet seeds, but I heard that they are high-fat and low protein. What can I feed him for a balanced diet? Also, how can the beak problem be solved? (Sadly, I have no avian vet near me)

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
What can I feed him for a balanced diet?
Crush some pellets, boil some water, let the water cool a little so it´s warm but not scolding hot. Pout into the powder. Stir to remove bumps, mix it so it is like babyfood consistency. Let cool. Once it cooled to warm/lukewarm you can feed it.
(The boiling of the water is to clean the water, and also the hot water will dissolve the pellets better.)

how can the beak problem be solved?
That is a question for a vet.
Sometuimes broken beaks can grow back, but you will need a professional to help you as you may need the beak filed when it starts to grow.

Aside from the obvious, you will also need a vet to prescribe some pain medication.

Have you asked the cat/dog vets if there are any vets who deal with birds around?

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
(Sadly, I have no avian vet near me)
Tell us where you live and we can help you find an avian vet. They are not always nearby.

Quan

Moving in
Tell us where you live and we can help you find an avian vet. They are not always nearby.
I am living in Romania. I searched on AAV and only found one at a big distance from me.
Crush some pellets, boil some water, let the water cool a little so it´s warm but not scolding hot. Pout into the powder. Stir to remove bumps, mix it so it is like babyfood consistency. Let cool. Once it cooled to warm/lukewarm you can feed it.
(The boiling of the water is to clean the water, and also the hot water will dissolve the pellets better.)
Thank you for this recipe, but is it possible to feed him unhusked budgie seed? I am asking this because he seems to eat millet seeds just fine.
Have you asked the cat/dog vets if there are any vets who deal with birds around?
No, I haven't asked the cat/dog vets.