• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

how can i give my bird shade for cheap?

milliebird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Evie
Hi,
I am getting a second bird (a cockatiel) and my house is very open with lots of windows:( and my cage is in a corner where there are two windows on either side:(, and the aircon/ heater is above it:( so I am going to put some sort of clear sheeting to help with mess and drafts on the top and two or three of the sides, I was also thinking of putting some sort of shade cloth thing for her for the daytime. What sort of fabric should I use and how many sides should I cover? What plastic sheet is okay if my bird chews on it and how can I attach it to the cage in a way that I can still take it off easily to clean it and the cage?

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
I just have a single unfitted black bed sheet of my parrotlets (only on the back during the day, then all over at night)

Reactions: tka

milliebird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Evie
Thank's so much! I will definitely hold onto old sheets, will aircon be too much of a problem or will it be okay if I have a sheet to stop drafts?

Reactions: Ali

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Light, they will reflect the sun and keep the cage cooler :)

milliebird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Evie
Thanks so much for the help and sorry I keep asking questions Zara I'm just trying to do my research

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
Sorry it's rubbish picture, but this is what I have for them during the day...I

IMG_20200603_123603_hdr.jpg

milliebird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Evie
Would it be a problem having the aircon above the cage or would the sheet stop any drafts

milliebird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Evie
Ali thank's it makes sense to cover it halfway, and I know how hard it is to have the cage clean when you need it to be

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
How much of the cage should I cover?
Try it out. There isn't a right answer here - a lot will depend on the room layout, and even the direction that the windows face. You will need to experiment and over time, you'll work out how much of the cage should be covered for your bird's comfort.

milliebird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Evie
I suppose it depends on the way the sun hits the window, the house is only 3 years old with double glazing so there shouldn't be as my draft as there was in our old house so I'm mainly concerned about the aircon draft (the aircon is only a few months old)

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It also depends on the orientation of the windows - if you're in the northern hemisphere, south-facing windows will get a lot of sun, east-facing windows will get sun in the morning and west-facing windows will get sun in the afternoons. If you're in the southern hemisphere, I believe that north-facing windows will get more sun. The angle of the sun changes throughout the year - winter sun comes in at a low angle, while in midsummer the sun is high in the sky. You may need to adjust the sheet placement to take these into account.