• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How can i get my cockatiels to eat pellets?

Airman21

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Balan Andrei
Hi guys, my cockatiels eat and like pellets, but only from my hand. If i put pellets in their little recipient, they are searching for seeds and don t want to eat the pellets, how can i get them to stop searching for seeds?

Wardy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Do they have seeds available in there food bowls or just pellets ?

Airman21

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Balan Andrei
Do they have seeds available in there food bowls or just pellets ?
If they have only pellets, they just wont eat them and cry for seeds/search for seeds, if they have seeds, they pick them out of the pellets.
This evening i did an experiment. They only eat pellets from my hand, they even like them, but only from my hand. If i put them in their bowl, they won t eat them and cry. If i put my hand into the bowl and play with the pellets, they will eat pellets. I don t understand... If i leave them with the pellets alone they look at me and cry because they want seeds. I put seeds and they leave me alone.. What can i do??

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
When transitioning my conure to pellets i used to put seed into the bowl with pellets on top so she had to go through the pellets to get seed.

@Mizzely might have some suggestions

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
You can mix seeds with pellets for encouragement. When they eat seeds also some of the pellets are eaten. I mixed mine together all the time. You can call customer service for the various pellets companies and they will send you samples which is a good idea. Lafeber company will usually send you a good amount of their various foods.

Airman21

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Balan Andrei
You can mix seeds with pellets for encouragement. When they eat seeds also some of the pellets are eaten. I mixed mine together all the time. You can call customer service for the various pellets companies and they will send you samples which is a good idea. Lafeber company will usually send you a good amount of their various foods.
They love pellets but they only eat them from my hand. If i put pellets în their bowl they search for seeds and cry if they don t find em. Idk what to do.

Airman21

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Balan Andrei
They love pellets but they only eat them from my hand. If i put pellets în their bowl they search for seeds and cry if they don t find em. Idk what to do.
Also if i put seeds în the pellets they only eat seeds.. It s not about The fact that they don t like them, or don t recognize as food. Something makes them only eat pellets from my hand..

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I have never heard a bird cry. Can you post a video of this?

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I would stop feeding them pellets from your hand but make them available in there food bowl with seed

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
When you put the pellets and seeds in the bowls make sure you only put enough seed so that when they are done they have to eat the pellets. Aim for about 50-60 percent seeds, 40-50 percent pellets.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Tough love. They've already learned that by calling you they'll get seed. Don't give in to their demands or they'll use this ploy to get anything they want. You're giving them pellets that they'll eat from your hand. If you don't give in to their demands they will eat the pellets from their dish.