• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How can I get my canary to step up

TheMacDadd

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Ahmad
Hello it's been awhile since I've been active on this forum but ever since I was gone I was making good progress with blaze and spending all my time with him, and out of nowhere just recently abt 2 days ago blaze ate a treat from my palm and the next day he went on my palm with no hesitation started eating and then he put his foot on my palm. sometimes I try to put my palm a little lower so then he can hop on my hand but he just stretches his head and starts eating I understand It takes time (especially for canaries) but I just wanna know should I just keep offering him food on my palm and then magically one day he's gonna just hop on my palm or should I try different strategies so he can hop onto my palm.

Gigibirds

Rollerblading along the road
I think that keeping on offing him food or doing whatever your doing should be great! If he's already making that progress then keep on at it!! But then again I'm not so sure about it with canaries, so..... :bump4: ! Good luck! It sounds like you are doing great so far!!! :)

Nat

Moving in
Hi,
how long did it take you till he arrived at this point that he stepped on your palm? I am trying to make my canaries also to eat from my hand.
Thanks in advance
Nat

TheMacDadd

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Ahmad
Hi,
how long did it take you till he arrived at this point that he stepped on your palm? I am trying to make my canaries also to eat from my hand.
Thanks in advance
Nat
I know you posted this awhile ago but i've been very busy with blaze and other really important things, first it depends on the canary, at this point I thought he would never step up I had him and scarlet since august so that's been like 7 to 8 months already and I actually thought he would stay like this until his partner passed away then I was spending way more time with him and we were like buddies, so then I started taking him outside everyday cause it was hot and our bond only got stronger he saw me feeding the other animals outside and that's when he started trusting me after that I kept on offering him his bird food from my hand then one day he as brave enough to step up and we went on from there. so basically to sum it up its way way easier to tame a single canary then a pair, spend allottttt of time with him/her and take them outside a lot and try to interact with other animals so your canary can see that your no danger.

Jenny Reynolds

Moving in
Real Name
Jenny
I would love to have my canary Marble pop onto my hand. He's in my bedroom and flies free every morning for a couple of hours. I've had him since Oct and he's very confident and nosy little thing, adorable. Any advice would be gratefully received

TheMacDadd

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Ahmad
I would love to have my canary Marble pop onto my hand. He's in my bedroom and flies free every morning for a couple of hours. I've had him since Oct and he's a very confident and nosy little thing, adorable. Any advice would be gratefully received
patience is key and since you already let him fly around the room, I think it would be way easier to tame him, try millet preferably white millet because it's really good and all birds love it! you should also on a daily put your hand in the cage and put some seed on it. sooner or later he will come onto your hand and after a month and your bond will be as strong as ever and later on you guys will be best buddies and you'll have him wherever you go just like a parrot but smaller!