• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How can I event a quite time?

FeatheredM

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
I'm very sorry, didn't mean to be rude

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sometimes what looks like an easy fix creates more problems later. For example, covering the cage will disrupt the bird's routine and day/night cycles, which can confuse the bird and lead to unwanted behaviours. The OP then has to deal with noise and restoring a healthy routine and relationship with their bird.

Generally, we have a lot more resources to change our behaviours - noise cancelling headphones can be a godsend as can a set of really good earplugs. You can try listening to white noise or use a sound generator. I've linked to one that I like; it comes with lots of options and you can adjust different elements of the soundscape to your liking.

You can also try to give your bird something to do - maybe a foraging toy loaded with high value treats to keep her occupied, or an easily shreddable toy to play with? I'd recommend having a stash of super easy balsa, paper and cardboard toys - they won't last long but will keep her busy if you need that quiet time.

BirbDex

Strolling the yard
Actually, I think you are the one who misunderstood. Have another read of the comments and you will see that advice was offered in the best interests of the birds and the owner :)
Not one person was ¨laying guilt¨ on anyone.

@BirbDex Did you see my post RE flight? I know my little ones can be even more vocal if not allowed out to burn off energy.
Yea, she's not tame. And I am fully aware this is a problem I posted about this before but basically, I don't dare push it i can feed her put toys in slowly and give her treats and that's where we've been for a while. i notice music helps sometimes recently though so iv'e been doing that a ton. i do want to clarify she has a cage upgrade the pics older.

Last edited:

BirbDex

Strolling the yard
I'm very sorry, didn't mean to be rude
I don't think you're rude. The reason why i don't think your rude is because text is extremely easy to misunderstand. And I've done it myself tons.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
@Feathered
I did not think you were rude and
I did not think you were out of line.
We are always “all about the birds” but in this case the person needed help and you addressed it perfectly.
I support your suggestion.
Sometimes people have different needs from others, at different levels. Even if 2 people are autistic that doesn’t mean they need the exact same solution. Or, I’ll use my own hearing as an example. Certain birds’ sscreams Hurt my ears. It doesn’t matter how far away (in the house) I get or whatever - it is still painful in there. That’s different from someone who just doesn’t like the screaming or it gets on their nerves, because it actually hurts.
So my solution/needs might be diff than another person.
Anyway. Thank you for speaking up.

Bookwyrm

Sprinting down the street
I'm a bit late posting, but I thought I'd mention what I do. I'm actually on the spectrum as well, and I completely get where you're coming from. My budgie just has an early bedtime. I have to be at school at 6:30 in the morning, and so he goes to bed at 6:30 in the evenings. This gives me several hours with him when I get home, and then a few hours of quiet after he gets to bed. He also gets a good amount of sleep, which is very nice for both of us. (He tends to get a little nippy when he's tired.) Other than that, I just use earbuds. :)

BirbDex

Strolling the yard
I'm a bit late posting, but I thought I'd mention what I do. I'm actually on the spectrum as well, and I completely get where you're coming from. My budgie just has an early bedtime. I have to be at school at 6:30 in the morning, and so he goes to bed at 6:30 in the evenings. This gives me several hours with him when I get home, and then a few hours of quiet after he gets to bed. He also gets a good amount of sleep, which is very nice for both of us. (He tends to get a little nippy when he's tired.) Other than that, I just use earbuds. :)
I think I'll try adjusting her bedtime, accept for me Thursdays are weird because i get home at different times. But I'll figure it out

BirbDex

Strolling the yard
@Feathered
I did not think you were rude and
I did not think you were out of line.
We are always “all about the birds” but in this case the person needed help and you addressed it perfectly.
I support your suggestion.
Sometimes people have different needs from others, at different levels. Even if 2 people are autistic that doesn’t mean they need the exact same solution. Or, I’ll use my own hearing as an example. Certain birds’ sscreams Hurt my ears. It doesn’t matter how far away (in the house) I get or whatever - it is still painful in there. That’s different from someone who just doesn’t like the screaming or it gets on their nerves, because it actually hurts.
So my solution/needs might be diff than another person.
Anyway. Thank you for speaking up.
That and, to be fair i think the misunderstanding came from both ends. But that's a whole other conversation. And i find the internet so hard and frustrating....idk if this helps or not but i use Grammarly and i like it for grammar yes but i also like it because it tells you how your text sounds if it's angry, happy sad and it's a nice add on to things. (Not that all of us need that) but i think it can help.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
but i also like it because it tells you how your text sounds if it's angry, happy sad and it's a nice add on to things. (Not that all of us need that) but i think it can help.
Really! That’s good to know. There are soooo many misunderstandings because of texts.