• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How can I event a quite time?

BirbDex

Strolling the yard
90% of the days I'm fine with chirping singing and screaming, in fact, I've really come to love it. It doesn't even bother me very much when I'm studying anymore and I do perfectly fine.
but I'm autistic, which means someday's I find myself overwhelmed (And on those moment's usually not past a certain time frame) I need silence so I can settle down and collect my thoughts
and she "Can" drive me insane during those moments and I wish I could say I could just move her to another room but my apartment is tiny and currently, it's set up a certain way that I can't undo until this upcoming yard sale. And then i have to figure out other arrangements.
So my question is it I guess, Is it okay mentally for me to have a "Quiet time" and cover her cage As long as it's not very long and doesn't become consistent? (As soon I won't need to because I'll have a free room which gives me some space when needed)
But currently, she's in my workspace. I've been advised by videos I've watched that doing that is actually bad? So I have held everything inside and dealt with it the hard way but I'm just wondering people's opinions on this and some advice?
I don't tell people about this problem because I typically fear autism and a bird doesn't mix response, when yea, I may never be able to have certain bird types you're correct but budgies, teils there not too bad for me and I can manage but like everyone else I need that 1% of the day alone, even if it's just 1% and I'm not sure how to currently manage that. It's another situation where I've gotten mixed responses some people say it's bad because of mixing up bedtime association. I can't really come up with anything else currently, but if u got ideas throw them at me.
I feel kinda bad for even writing this I've had a really hard time using other places like FB and asking for advice on them.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I have anxiety and loud, repetitive noises can be debilitating at times.

The easiest thing for me has been to use noise cancelling headphones or ear plugs.

BirbDex

Strolling the yard
I have anxiety and loud, repetitive noises can be debilitating at times.

The easiest thing for me has been to use noise cancelling headphones or ear plugs.
I'm dumb, i have those laying around my house and i never even thought about that option I'm so used to waring them in store i don't know why it didn't come to mind! thanks.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I'm dumb, i have those laying around my house and i never even thought about that option I'm so used to waring them in store i don't know why it didn't come to mind! thanks.
I do the same thing. I overthink a problem and get myself all worked up until my husband gives me a very reasonable and easy solution :lol:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
The best idea is the one Mizzely mentioned! My son finds earphones help him stay focused and calm, he hardly is seen without them now. He can function much easier if he can control the level of input he has from other sources and since wearing headphones I can’t think of a time he has suffered from being overwhelmed.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Is it okay mentally for me to have a "Quiet time" and cover her cage As long as it's not very long and doesn't become consistent?
Please don´t do that. Only cover them when it is their bedtime.

I hope the earplugs work for you :) I buy multipacks over here :lol: My partner will put music on his headphones and enjoy that to cancel out the noise, but if he´s wanting to relax and the birds are calling, he will just leave and go for a walk.
You say you live in an apartment, do you have a hallway? Maybe some stairs you can go out and sit on for a short whie to just clear your mind? Maybe there´s a bench on the street outside?

Be sure to offer some foraging activities too. It might help keep them quite for short bursts, though I do know some birds carry on chirping while having a good time foraging :rolleyes:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Yes, if you know there are certain times of day that they are loud, offering foraging opportunities can be a great way to get some quiet! This is one of my favorites as it's super easy and cheap!

BirbDex

Strolling the yard
I don’t know if it helps but do they have a nap time? My whole bird room goes quiet at 2:00 every afternoon
Thats amazing, mine stays awake until 7-8 which is bedtime.

Lori D Pert

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Lori
Please don't cover her in the daytime. She is just being what she was born to be. However, being autistic certainly doesn't mean that birds are a bad fit. Headphones are the best answer but if it came to a point where you needed quiet time and you needed it now, can you move her to the bathroom? If it's only for a brief amount of time I'm sure she would be ok.

Last edited:

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I got the headphones, everythings fine. Don't worry about it
I really hope they make everything easier for you.
My son doesn’t leave the house without them (even wears them at home 95% of the time) as the sounds are just too much for him to deal with.

FeatheredM

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
I'm sorry everyone, but this poor person NEEDS more quiet time than the bird not being covered for some time. It's not going to hurt the bird. You guys need to understand that this person can't handle as handle as much noise as us. For other people it's fine to support the noise, but let this person have some peace. Don't just think about the bird, think about the person. Earphone idea is great, but might not work. Try it out, but there might not be an alternative. Don't be afraid to cover your bird, unless there is another way, maybe by having your bird forage or take a bathe.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I'm sorry everyone, but this poor person NEEDS more quiet time than the bird not being covered for some time. It's not going to hurt the bird. You guys need to understand that this person can't handle as handle as much noise as us. For other people it's fine to support the noise, but let this person have some peace. Don't just think about the bird, think about the person. Earphone idea is great, but might not work. Try it out, but there might not be an alternative. Don't be afraid to cover your bird, unless there is another way, maybe by having your bird forage or take a bathe.
I sincerely hope I am not one of the people you’re referring to here (though I believe I am) as my son is autistic (as well as a few other members of my family) so I was thinking of and backing a sound solution for the person with autism that is not harmful or unfair to the bird!
If the bird needs to be kept in the dark at inappropriate times (not actual night time hours) then that is not a solution that is right or fair and it can actually be damaging to the birds welfare.
This member was given great advice and support in order to make their life with a naturally noisy pet manageable as well as still providing what is RIGHT and FAIR for the bird. They also seemed to find some relief from their problem by using their headphones from my understanding. :)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Every single option on this thread was given with both person and bird in mind and the OP said they found a solution. Now they have several ideas to choose from :)

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Thats amazing, mine stays awake until 7-8 which is bedtime.
How much flight time do your birds get?
My little ones will zoom around and play in my living room for a few hours, then will happily nap in the afternoon, around 3ish for us.
I don´t mind the noise too much, it´s only on occasion that it bothers me (and then I use the earplugs and go to nap in my bedroom), but I do work from home and so like you I need just a little quiet time to get stuff done. I find that allowing some out of cage time before I need to quieter time really can help, alongside foraging - there´s plenty of DIY foraging activities you can create, or there are store bought things too. Toys that are designed for destruction, ¨shreddables¨ can also keep those beaks focused on something other than creating noise. Try a few different things, and see what works best for you :)

FeatheredM

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
You guys probably misunderstood me, it's because I think we have to help the person as well as the bird, what I was trying to say was that if nothing works, then we have to support the person posting this, because the person getting some necessary peace is more important, and we shouldn't lay guilt on the person. We ALL have different needs.

BirbDex

Strolling the yard
You guys probably misunderstood me, it's because I think we have to help the person as well as the bird, what I was trying to say was that if nothing works, then we have to support the person posting this, because the person getting some necessary peace is more important, and we shouldn't lay guilt on the person. We ALL have different needs.
Don't worry, I don't feel guilted or like people weren't giving good advice I actually never considered noise-canceling headphones I felt more silly for not thinking of that problem in the first place because i made a entire thread on it but hey, someone else in the future may come across it and get a good idea from it so it's not all bad. So the complicated issue here is you're correct it may not work and it's very likely it won't entirely solve my problem but it will limit the problem and make it a bit easier even if it still exists. Getting birds i was aware that it's possible i'd run across problems like these and I'm perfectly okay with that but i am also a person who enjoys having them around so having the occasional problem here and there is just something I'll figure out in time. If it helps if i thought that at any point this forum wasn't being kind or wasn't accepting my needs i'd defend myself or leave on my own terms. I just try and avoid as much conflict as possible so i don't always go in-depth about a problem further then i should. But i completely understand what you're saying is more if __ doesn't work then i should be able to do whats needed. And that is true "To a extent" of course but when or if that road comes we can figure that out together :) I try to take things as they come in life but if something goes wrong I'll ask for more advice. And in the mean time featherd feel free to leave any other suggestions.

FeatheredM

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
Maybe you can have a special foraging toy for your birdie, you put it in when you need quiet time, and take it when you don't so your birdie reconizes it as a special time.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
You guys probably misunderstood me, it's because I think we have to help the person as well as the bird, what I was trying to say was that if nothing works, then we have to support the person posting this, because the person getting some necessary peace is more important, and we shouldn't lay guilt on the person.
Actually, I think you are the one who misunderstood. Have another read of the comments and you will see that advice was offered in the best interests of the birds and the owner :)
Not one person was ¨laying guilt¨ on anyone.

@BirbDex Did you see my post RE flight? I know my little ones can be even more vocal if not allowed out to burn off energy.