• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How can I clean my budgies feathers?!

Hevthebird

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Heather Hughes
My 3 year old male budgie Zazu has been a bit under the weather so he’s having antibiotics as he has a respiratory infection.

He doesn’t like being held too closely but I have had to by giving him the antibiotics via a tiny syringe. He isn’t too happy but he’s fine after! The only problem is the antibiotics are clear but a bit gloopy and stick to his feathers around the beak and has gone a bit clumpy. I know it bothers him because he’s a very clean bird (constantly cleaning his feathers!).

my question is - how can I help get it off? I’m able to hold him for short period of time where he lets me touch around his face. I’ve tried dabbing water and wiping it off that way but it’s not really shifting :(

Is there any tips or anything recommended that could help get it off?!

thanks in advance :)

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue Heather! :starshower1:

You can try dabbing a warm soaked q-tip on the area, then gently wiping, don´t pull, then re press the soak, then wipe and so on. It may take a while, you will have to be patient.

You can also offer a shallow dish of water for your bird to bathe in :)

Olliebirb

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Julia A
If you mist him with a sprayer that might help

Gribouille

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
That really depends on your bird. If he is really tame and trusting you, you can do more than if he is not.
Easiest is to hold him in a towel/washcloth so he is secured without you having to hold him too tight if he tries to move. The towel will hold his wings for you. Then you can use a q tip and wipe but it depends on how sticky the stuff is. My parrotlet loves to eat soft figs and each time he does, he gets a lot on his beak, I have to clean it with a wet cloth because it won't go away with my fingers only, and q tip aren't working either. But he trusts me completely so even if he doesn't like to be held, he isn't scared :) but then it is on his beak, not in the feathers. I guess you could try soak the stuff with a wet q tip to soften it before you wipe it clean?