• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How bad are the droppings?

Birdlee

Meeting neighbors
Most resources I've seen on linnies mention their droppings as huge and wet, which doesn't faze me much since I keep chickens (although they're outside), and I'm sure theirs are bigger than a linnie's, but I want to let mine out in my room to spend time with me while I work (possibly on a play gym, possibly just letting them fly around) and I'm worried about droppings staining my bed or my clothes. If this would be a problem, I also plan on letting them out in the living room to fly around there, and my couch is very old so I'm not as concerned about stains. But I'd really love it if my bird could spend time with me in my room. So, I basically want to know:
- How big/messy/frequent are linnies' droppings?
- When they get on you or the floor are they hard to clean?
- Are they a big enough issue that they'd stain clothes and bed covers?
- Would having a large play gym mean that they wouldn't get droppings on as many things?
- Would keeping an old sweatshirt to wear while the linnie is out also work?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My 3 year old Linnie has a enormous first poop of the day in late morning. It's very wet and messy, but luckily she often does it the same place. I actually double line the bottom of the cage at that spot. When I open the cage I say "Don't come out until you poop" and amazingly she usually does go to her spot and poop. Otherwise she poops regularly, all around and it's not the big of a problem. My 3 month old has small compact poops that are not wet. I wear a smock over my clothes when they are spending time with me. I also have a sofa cover and 2 chair covers in the living room where they play. I put a plastic desk protecter under their play gym, and a towel in front of the cage door. It just takes a minute to set up and then I don't have to worry about ruining anything. But, on the rare cases poop has gotten on the floor, rug, furniture, it's really not a problem to clean up. I just like to prevent it. Linnies are surprisingly messy for their diminutive size, but totally worth the effort for me. My girls are awesome.

Birdlee

Meeting neighbors
My 3 year old Linnie has a enormous first poop of the day in late morning. It's very wet and messy, but luckily she often does it the same place. I actually double line the bottom of the cage at that spot. When I open the cage I say "Don't come out until you poop" and amazingly she usually does go to her spot and poop. Otherwise she poops regularly, all around and it's not the big of a problem. My 3 month old has small compact poops that are not wet. I wear a smock over my clothes when they are spending time with me. I also have a sofa cover and 2 chair covers in the living room where they play. I put a plastic desk protecter under their play gym, and a towel in front of the cage door. It just takes a minute to set up and then I don't have to worry about ruining anything. But, on the rare cases poop has gotten on the floor, rug, furniture, it's really not a problem to clean up. I just like to prevent it. Linnies are surprisingly messy for their diminutive size, but totally worth the effort for me. My girls are awesome.
So it sounds like some towels on my bed and other no-poop areas plus a designated linnie sweatshirt might be the way to go for me! Thank you so much :)

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Maybe a plastic tablecloth over the bed would be better? Save having to wash towels everyday, you could just wipe it down.

NorthernGannet

Sprinting down the street
Piggy backing on @Dona, you must do a poop-check as part of your pre-purchase evaluation! haha, i'm kidding but they do seem to be different per bird. Two of mine have smaller, compact droppings like @Dona 's Dori. The others have/had large wet messy poops that are/were a pain to clean up. I don't think anything has actually stained as of yet, but soap, hot water and elbow grease are a must for my carpet, etc. Definitely wear something old if they're going to hang out on you for longer periods of time. I cover my bed with industrial trash bags (heavier gauge than regular ones, they don't flap around as much from the wind of the birds landing) so they don't poop on my bedding, plus the plastic discourages them hanging out on it.

Having a large play gym is a great thing, and means they'll poop on that too :D I'm not sure how frequent they poop as I"ve never really paid attention. It seems like it's pretty often.

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
I agree with @NorthernGannet, you need to see the poop. Linnie poop is very different from other birds. I don't know why. I have two linnies, a conure, and a lovebird, and I always say the linnies poop cement. They're great birds, but the poop is truly something else!

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
If my conure and lovebird poop on fabric, I can often successfully get it off, leaving just the urine (not great but such is life) if the linnies got poop on fabric it would need a scrub.

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
Piggy backing on @Dona, you must do a poop-check as part of your pre-purchase evaluation! haha, i'm kidding but they do seem to be different per bird. Two of mine have smaller, compact droppings like @Dona 's Dori. The others have/had large wet messy poops that are/were a pain to clean up. I don't think anything has actually stained as of yet, but soap, hot water and elbow grease are a must for my carpet, etc. Definitely wear something old if they're going to hang out on you for longer periods of time. I cover my bed with industrial trash bags (heavier gauge than regular ones, they don't flap around as much from the wind of the birds landing) so they don't poop on my bedding, plus the plastic discourages them hanging out on it.

Having a large play gym is a great thing, and means they'll poop on that too :D I'm not sure how frequent they poop as I"ve never really paid attention. It seems like it's pretty often.
Sometimes mine will just poop for the sake of pooping. "oh we're on Galahad's cage, I'll just drop a little gift right here..."

TheBirds

If my conure and lovebird poop on fabric, I can often successfully get it off, leaving just the urine (not great but such is life) if the linnies got poop on fabric it would need a scrub.
Agreed. The Linnie will often leave a brown streak after I try and pick-up her poop, which requires I get out the mild detergent and give it a scrub with a rag.

TheBirds

Maybe a plastic tablecloth over the bed would be better? Save having to wash towels everyday, you could just wipe it down.
I'm bumping this thread to see if anyone has any suggestions along this line, of something plastic to cover fabric. Our two Linnies love to run along the top of the couch and I'm tired of trying to clean Linnie poop off all the time, but also don't want to try and enforce a "no go" zone (because I'd obviously lose that fight). Any thoughts on what might work, about 6" wide and wipeable, that would blend in to a grey sectional?

NorthernGannet

Unless it's totally flat, plastic will be awfully slippery for that spot?? I use a large piece of vinyl to cover my bed, and hand towels over the back of my recliner. I think @Dona uses baby towels of some sort, they look nice.

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've got a system in place for the poop that mostly works. It takes a few minutes to set up before Gigi comes out. I use a combo of old pillow shams, thin flannel baby blankets and the cotton rectangles that I believe line diapers if you go non disposable. I put a sham in front of the cage in case she lingers there while deciding where to fly. I used to use actual furniture covers on my 2 chairs and the sofa until recently when I just couldn't stand the look and effort. Now I strategically place the blankets and liners around where she normally goes. 2 baby blankets go under the play gym on a table. As far as the top of the sofa goes, I roll up a pillow sham behind so the area is even and then I layer a baby blanket and 2 rectangles. Gigi often lands there first thing and poops. Then I remove that rectangle and she often burrows under the other one. I just catch the poop, rinse it off and then throw it in a designated laundry basket. I wash Gigi's stuff weekly. I just can't think of anything that would be able to be wiped off but wouldn't be slippery for the back of the sofa, but I'd love an idea too!

TheBirds

You've both got points about the slippery aspect, I didn't really think about that. But maybe @Zara is on to something with the tablecloth, I'm going to have a look in the dollar store and see if I can find something that's got some waterproofing .. like those tablecloths meant for outdoors that have a bit of texture to them? They'd be easy to cut into strips too.....

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You've both got points about the slippery aspect, I didn't really think about that. But maybe @Zara is on to something with the tablecloth, I'm going to have a look in the dollar store and see if I can find something that's got some waterproofing .. like those tablecloths meant for outdoors that have a bit of texture to them? They'd be easy to cut into strips too.....
Good luck! Sounds promising! That kind of tablecloth isn't as slippery. I've added the dollar store to my errand list this week.

NorthernGannet

Let us know what you find!

WillowQ

Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
I’ve used clear vinyl shower curtains to lay down flat on furniture or hang around a cage. But I don’t know if those would work for what you’re talking about.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I have a black "sheet", it is a seat cover I bought for taking the dog in the car, and it is a waterproof material. It has texture, so maybe check out the dog/car section.