• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How Are Diamond Doves???

jjlawrence

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
James Lawrence
I have been thinking for the last 6 months or so about getting a bird, and i have narrowed it down to 3 species... A canary, A parrolet, and A Diamond Dove. This question isnt really about those choices (even though they are insanely different) but more about the Diamond Dove. I have seen a lot about Ringneck Doves and how they are as pets, from what i get they are relatively quiet (compared to parrots), they can be hand tamed, and they can live indoors. Are these things all true about Diamond Doves too? I know that normally the smaller the bird the more skittish and shy it is, does that mean diamond doves dont like being handheld? I dont mind if they arent as keen as ringnecks, but as long as they are still hand tameable in a way im fine. The reason im not just getting a ringneck is because the rescue shelters nearby only have fantail pigeons and diamond doves from the Columbidae family and i dont really want to spend 50 on petrol to get to a shelter where they have a ringneck to pay 20 for it...

Thanks. James!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Welcome to the Avenue James 1.welcome signs.gif

Maybe you could visit the shelter and spend some time with the doves, see how they are around people? Partly it will depend on the life they have lived if they are comfortable around people or not.

Reactions: Ali

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
Diamonds usually seem to keep themselves tonthemselves. They are INCREDIBLY quiet birds, and have a really soft coo, which usually only happens in the morning and evening.