• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How Araçari's poop should look like ?

Gremlin

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi, I'm really new to this forum and the owner of an 7 months old Ivory Billed araçari name Ratchet for one week now.

Since toucan poop is really different in shape/color and aspect from parrot poop I dont really know what to think about it. Could you describe an "ideal" dropping or, perhaps, send pictures ?

Also, my araçari seems to be dropping partially digested or undigested pieces of food. I mean i can guess what the fruit is without any doubt and if I havent seen him poop I could have thought that he just dropped his food. Is my concerned justified ? Is that "normal" amoung fruit eaters ?

Aside from the weird poop, he is active, talkative and he eats a lot.

Thank you in advance.
Note : please, dont mind the poor syntax or spelling, english isnt my first langage.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum. I'm afraid I don't know much about aracaris- other than that they're adorable. Hopefully others will be able to answer.

DoubleTake

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
There's a keel billed toucan at the store I volunteer at if you want pictures of its poop lol. Maybe stopping by tomorrow or this weekend. From what I can remember, his poop is generally real dark, probably from the berries it gets to eat.

Nikomania

Rollerblading along the road
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
You might want to reach out to Dr. Jason Crean who breeds green aracaris and is a reputable source for nutritional needs of the aracari:

Beaks Birdhouse Birds

I also located a brief thread here on AA:
forums.avianavenue.com/index.php?threads/aracari-poo.162258/

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
For sure contact Jason like @Nikomania said! If I remember correctly from a lecture I went to with him your birds poop sounds normal. Toucans poop are full of seeds from the fruit they eat. They pass the stuff pretty whole it is one reason they are great at spreading seeds to other areas in the wild. You could ask your vet as well. Here are some links for Jason!

Dr. Jason Crean – Fine Cuisine for Parrots

Dr Jason Crean, Consultant