• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Housing Different Subspecies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maeface

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ashlee
I hope this isn't a repeat thread, I looked around this section and didn't see anything specific, so I apologize if this has already been answered!

I'm kind of a noob when it comes to conures and i've been reading and looking through galleries and have had mixed answers about housing different subspecies of conures together. Like a Green-Cheek and a Sun or a Nanday and a Blue-Crown.

I thought it would depend on more of a bird-by-bird basis since they are all unique, but who knows! Chickens have to look alike or they get angry at each other or they at least all have to be different so they don't gang up on each other. (Yes, I just compared chickens to an exotic South American bird. How odd! Haha.)

Your input is appreciated! Thanks!

Emmilyy

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
I honestly would not be comfortable housing two birds of different sizes together, like say, a sun and a green cheek or a green cheek. I think a green cheek and a maroon bellied or a green cheek and a crimson bellied or a painted would be okay together as they are around the same size, but its completely dependent on whether or not the individual birds get along. Normally i wouldn't recommend mixing species together, though. I mean, you could have two conures of the same species not get along at all.

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
It's not usually recommended. If it's an aviary, then there's always that chance that people mix for example Budgies and Cockatiels. (AS LONG as the aviary is big enough..)

But then I've been to a pet store where they have inside, aviaries with mixed birds, I just couldn't risk it though.

Maeface

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ashlee
I thought maybe that would be the case. Which is fine, green-cheeks are my favourite and if I ever got a second one I probably wouldn't be able to resist a second green-cheek! Thank-you again.

Emmilyy

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
Even if you did decide to get another green cheek in the future, though, you would not be able to put them both in the same cage from the start. They'd both need separate cages and you could not guarantee that they'd ever get along. :)

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I'm kind of a noob when it comes to conures and i've been reading and looking through galleries and have had mixed answers about housing different subspecies of conures together. Like a Green-Cheek and a Sun or a Nanday and a Blue-Crown.
Actually all the conures listed above are not the same species at all. So they are not subspecies of eachother ;)

A subspecies is the same species, but difference characterisitcs/looks/etc that make them a subspecies from the main species.

Like eclectuses, they are all ekkies, females are red, males are green. But there are different types of ekkies. Like the Grand, the Solomon, the VOS, etc.

Or for example the scarlet macaw. There are 3 subspecies. The Central (wide yellow wing band, little to NO bit of green or blue on the wing band), the Brazilian (mixtures of green and yellow, only 2 small rows of yellow on the wing, not as big of a yellow band, its like half yellow half green/blue, plus the Brazilian scarlet has a GREEN nape) and then there is the Mexican scarlet (a orange/yellow wing ban with mixtures of blue and green in the band, very small amount of true yellow coloration).

If you were to house those species together, I'd house them in the same room, but different cages. Their size difference, and their conure-type personality makes its dangerous for them to be housed in the same cage.

Eliza

Jogging around the block
Mercedez beat me to it: Genus --> Species --> subspecies

Long story short? I would suggest like species/subspecies as a pairing off option, most certainly if breeding and also if pairing up for companionship. Keep in mind that the most loving pair can have a falling out.

I'd suggest having separate cages just as a precaution.

Tomsde

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Tom Santomartino
Another risk, which you may not have considered, is even if both GCC are hand raised, if you put them together they may bond to each other and not want to have anything to do with you. If I got another GCC, I would keep it in another cage entirely and just let Connie be play pen pals with it (if they liked each other). Another thing to consider is if the 2 GCCs are of opposite sexes, they may mate together.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
I have a Nanday conure that bonded to a quaker that are in a double flight 64 by 21 they are doing well it would be the birds choice not yours and you would need enough room for one to get away from the other mine are flighted and there is a clear path through the cage for one to escape the other with a divider you must have something between that will protect one birds foot from the other just sugestions :hug8:

Tomsde

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Tom Santomartino
They can go after one another's toes unfortunately.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
They can go after one another's toes unfortunately.
yes I know they have been bonded now for 5 years they chose the bond not me I know the risk but they are not as happy apart

Status
Not open for further replies.