• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Household products that may contain PTFE

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Did they mean the trays under the burners???? @JLcribber
That would be my guess. The actual heating element would not had teflon on it simply because its a burner and would burn off "any" kind of coating. Nothing would stick to it.

Chione

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Is there anyway to tell if Stovetop Burners are PTFE coated?

I got an old (but barely used) double burner hotplate (the kind with the coil burners). I haven't used it yet. But now I'm scared to XD

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Is there anyway to tell if Stovetop Burners are PTFE coated?

I got an old (but barely used) double burner hotplate (the kind with the coil burners). I haven't used it yet. But now I'm scared to XD
Unfortunately, if it is an older model, you will have to call the company and ask them, unless you can find someone who has that same model.

Pokyzard

Moving in
Do items that contain teflon need to be heated to release toxins? Also if you keep your bird mostly upstairs and away from the kitchen is it still in harm?

Tim

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
@Math Bird , cast iron is great! We use cast iron and stainless steel, primarily. Properly installed gas appliances are fine.
@Pokyzard , the main issue is that Teflon, when heated to specific temperatures, emits gasses that are fatal to birds, and toxic to you and your family. Gasses invisibly fill the entire home. Simply being on a different floor or away from the kitchen is not good enough. Dump the Teflon! (Now is a great time to donate your teflon coated goods to hurricane relief efforts!)

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I have had EdenPure and it was awesome!

HolliDaze

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Machelle
If anyone is looking for a Teflon free space heater, all of delonghi's heaters are Teflon free.

Artémise

Meeting neighbors
hello
i am new on this site
i live in Mauritius and its actually very hot now here and i wanted to buy an ac but since it is very cold in winter, i wanted to buy a reversible one.
i have an eclectus and i would be grateful if you could inform me whether a reversible air conditioner (hot and cold) contains teflon?
this is the model that we have here (samsung aq12tsbn)
SAMSUNG - Boracay 12000Btu Aq12Tsbn R410A Indoor - DionWired
http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/c...952/Boracay_EUR_AQ09T_U__IBIM_32447A_EN-4.pdf
thank you.

Familyof12

Real Name
Liz
We went through our whole house the moment Sola came home. I don't have much teflon except for frying pans which I threw out. They are probably not good for humans either anyway.

With all this in mind, I also keep an air purifier, a humidifier and a small space heater to keep the birds' room a little warmer than the rest of the house. We recently got our HVAC cleaned out (four months ago) and we do it every year. We don't just worry about the dangerous fumes but I also worry about making sure their climate is at the best possible range for the type of birds I have.

I am paranoid. I don't know if I could survive if I accidentally killed all my babies.

janicedyh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
I really am not familiar with the reversible unit and can't say it it is safe. My experience is that it is difficult to find the info on a manual. hat I did and what I have read that others do is call the company directly and ask them about PTFE.

Jas

Real Name
Jasmine
Hi, I assume this is the right thread to post in.

I currently have a cast iron pan set (I know that is safe for birdies) but I completely forgot about the frying pan which is Tefal, so that is Teflon coated (I don't even eat bacon or pancakes really, and eggs I cook with the cast iron pans so it hardly ever gets used). It was only the other week when a family member mentioned that they was going to use it and I explained about the fumes that it gives off, harming birds.

So I need a safe frying pan and I've found two which I believe are safe but what do you guys think?

Buy Heart of House 20cm Cast Iron Enamel Frying Pan at Argos.co.uk - Your Online Shop for Frying pans and woks, Cookware, Cooking, dining and kitchen equipment, Home and garden.
Buy Vita Verde by GreenPan 20cm Ceramic Non-Stick Frying Pan at Argos.co.uk - Your Online Shop for Frying pans and woks, Cookware, Cooking, dining and kitchen equipment, Home and garden.

Jas

Real Name
Jasmine

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
The second one says PTFE free and made without PFOA.

Reminds me, I want to go replace mine.....

Jas

Real Name
Jasmine
Okay thank you.

How often do you replace them?

Artémise

Meeting neighbors
Hello
Thanks for the replies
The stores have checked and confirmed that they are teflon free.
Happy new year.

Veganature

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Steve
Copper Chef Pan is completely safe for use. The non-stick coating is tested and is PTFE-free and PFOA-free.

Veganature

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Steve
I have Hamilton Beach Durathon iron that has a light blue non-stick coating on the plate. Should I be concerned?

Veganature

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Steve
62ba78f0-bebd-47ef-aad7-aabd3cb1c8dc_1.96c2478391dfce913829e6b9d6c9ce4d.jpeg Awesome News!!! I don't have to go out and buy another space heater. I just now called the company and verified that it's free from PTFE and PFOA. :dance4:
Delonghi Fan Space Heater, White Dfh132