• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Household cleaning

RainbowFlo

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Estella
:hello1: I'm in the process of replacing unsafe stuff in my home. We currently use Dettol to clean around the kitchen but especially now I'm pretty sure his/her's cage will be adjacent to the kitchen, I've decided to not risk using it. Most people reccomend vinegar and water but one of the members of my house hates the smell- it made her puke sooo not an option unless it doesn't have a smell at the dilution rates you use it at. To cut the the story short, my questions are..

1. When you clean with vinegar, does it smell?
2. Can I use F10 to clean surfaces other than the cage eg. kitchen tabletops?
3. Are there any other homemade cleaners I can use that don't have a vinegar smell? Are there any commercial ones that are safe other than f10 to clean surfaces?
4. Any safe toliet cleaners?

Thanks! :joyful:

dollfish

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Zeynep Dollfish
I clean my entire house with vinegar. It smells only for a little bit, maybe half an hour and then it is all gone. I don't know what f10 is but if I'm looking for something a little stronger I just use washing up liquid and do the bathroom with bleach but with ALL windows open and I keep them open for hours afterwards. Teflon emits harmful gases when heated to a certain degree so I wouldn't recommend cooking with it especially if your birb is going to be so closeto the kitchen.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
You can clean anything with F10 and @mythic55 did. You can also bath yourself and your bird in it One of our members did. F10 has a broader range of killing bacteria, virus', and fungus (including their spores) than any other disinfectant on the market. Vinegar has a far narrower kill zone than F10.

mak

In my experience cleaning with vinegar does smell (I don't like the smell). I'm not sure why you can't clean with a normal cleaning agent (most do not have strong fumes). I clean with regular cleaning products and my bird is not out while cleaning. I never had a problem. Obviously if you have a cleaning agent with strong fumes it's not good for your bird (or yourself for that matter).

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
@mak

Some "volatile organic compound" ( fumes ) do not have an odor, yet are dangerous or deadly. CO2 is an example. It is a VOC produced by burning and yet it has no odor of it's own. It can and has caused 100,000s of deaths. Smell has absolutely nothing to do with the danger of a compound.

mak

@mak

Some "volatile organic compound" ( fumes ) do not have an odor, yet are dangerous or deadly. CO2 is an example. It is a VOC produced by burning and yet it has no odor of it's own. It can and has caused 100,000s of deaths. Smell has absolutely nothing to do with the danger of a compound.
You are 100% correct. I simply mean that normal day to day cleaning products should not be a problem. More heavy duty cleaning agents might be more problematic. (I also realized that its probably very dependent on the country as cleaning products by me are not the same as in the states.)
I would also like to clarify that I did not mean any cleaning done to a birds area (cage, toys perches etc.) rather as per the question, in the kitchen area etc.

RainbowFlo

Real Name
Estella
Thanks for the replies! I think I'll go with f10, especially because of the proximity to the kitchen. I figure if it's safe for birds, it's probably better for my health than Dettol as well. Now it's just to find a toliet cleaner and I'm sorted lol :D If there aren't any bird safe ones, I may just have to use bleach and open windows/closed doors...

Ulis_Beast

Real Name
Doroteja Lenassi
Thanks for the replies! I think I'll go with f10, especially because of the proximity to the kitchen. I figure if it's safe for birds, it's probably better for my health than Dettol as well. Now it's just to find a toliet cleaner and I'm sorted lol :D If there aren't any bird safe ones, I may just have to use bleach and open windows/closed doors...
Bleach is a BIIIIIIG NO-NO!! Not in the house. Not with a bird in the house.
Baking soda in combination with f10 does wonders for the bathroom.
The F10 comes in a cleaner/desinfectant form too.. I love it. I use it for EVERYTHING.

clarousel

I use vinegar but I really hate the smell!

I think you can also use a bicarb and lemon juice solution (with hot water). I did that when I had to clean a new cage and couldn't get vinegar.

Oh! Also @Shezbug mentioned before there's a difference in F10 products that have a cleaning solution vs. Just pure disinfectant.

RainbowFlo

Real Name
Estella
Bleach is a BIIIIIIG NO-NO!! Not in the house. Not with a bird in the house.
Baking soda in combination with f10 does wonders for the bathroom.
The F10 comes in a cleaner/desinfectant form too.. I love it. I use it for EVERYTHING.
Thanks! I'll definitely avoid it at all costs if I can use F10.I don't particularly like the smell of bleach anyway :)

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I use vinegar but I really hate the smell!

I think you can also use a bicarb and lemon juice solution (with hot water). I did that when I had to clean a new cage and couldn't get vinegar.

Oh! Also @Shezbug mentioned before there's a difference in F10 products that have a cleaning solution vs. Just pure disinfectant.
I think that may have been @Ulis_Beast who mentioned that here :)

F10SC is just disinfectant- does not need rinsing off
F10SCXD is a disinfecting cleaner- needs to be rinsed off like a normal soap will need washing off.

RainbowFlo

Real Name
Estella

F10SCXD is a disinfecting cleaner- needs to be rinsed off like a normal soap will need washing off.
Thanks for this for this! I think F10SCXD might be better for the toliet. F10SC for the kitchen and cage. Thank you! :D

Ulis_Beast

Real Name
Doroteja Lenassi

The F10SCXD is also acidic so a bit of care must be taken when using it.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez

RainbowFlo

Real Name
Estella
Hi! I wasn't sure whether its best to bring up an old thread or start a new one but I have one more question. Are disinfectant wipes ok if they aren't f10 wipes eg. Dettol wipes. I know sprays get in the air but I wasn't sure about wipes. Thanks!

Kiwi & Co.

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Bump

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Hi! I wasn't sure whether its best to bring up an old thread or start a new one but I have one more question. Are disinfectant wipes ok if they aren't f10 wipes eg. Dettol wipes. I know sprays get in the air but I wasn't sure about wipes. Thanks!
I believe it depends on the chemicals used in the wipes. If you are using them on surfaces that your bird uses then you probably should wipe it clean with water to remove any residue unless you know they’re completely safe wipes. I know that cleaning wipes have been discussed here before, maybe a search might bring up some more info? I’m pretty sure the ones I’ve seen discussed here are chlorox wipes or something like that.... I don’t use them nor do we have all the same supplies here as they have in the US or UK.

RainbowFlo

Real Name
Estella
Thank you for the reply :) I was only worries because of the lemon/apple scent of the wipes. You can smell them on the wipes themselves but not on surfaces :) Defintely not using them in the cage but around the cage. If it helps, here are the ingredients on the two wipes I use :)

Attachments