• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Horseshoe Aviary in Ontario

Chione

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Has anyone dealt with Horseshoe Aviary in Ontario?

flyzipper

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
I've no experience with them and I used to live in KW (don't take that as a negative, it looks like they only opened May 2021), but commenting to follow your thread because I'm curious.

Based on their Facebook page, they appear to have their head on straight: they fully wean their babies before releasing them, they observed Ontario's movement ban due to H5N1, and they have a few positive reviews (from people with real Facebook profiles).

Nothing smells fishy to me.

Chione

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
I've no experience with them and I used to live in KW (don't take that as a negative, it looks like they only opened May 2021), but commenting to follow your thread because I'm curious.

Based on their Facebook page, they appear to have their head on straight: they fully wean their babies before releasing them, they observed Ontario's movement ban due to H5N1, and they have a few positive reviews (from people with real Facebook profiles).

Nothing smells fishy to me.
One of my main concerns is the seemingly lack of history. I'm worried about diseases if the breeding pairs are coming from all over the place.

But I might just have an imperfect understanding of the subject.

flyzipper

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
I'm worried about diseases if the breeding pairs are coming from all over the place.
Have a conversation with them -- ask an open-ended question about the steps they follow while adding new birds to their aviary. If they automatically rhyme off those steps: which vet they go to, the tests they run, the quarantine period they observe, they way the quarantine spaces are physically separated, the biosecurity they follow to ensure they themselves don't cross contaminate during quarantine, the records they keep, etc... I'd take that as a good sign they've actually done it.

When I saw they sourced a pair from Italy and Holland (if I'm remembering that correctly?), my thought was, "oh, they're serious about doing something special here", and felt relieved they don't appear to be somebody whose birds accidentally had chicks and they thought it would be cool to sell them.

Another approach might be to ask Mark or Lisa at Exotic Wings in Saint Clements if they're aware of them (or simply see if they have what you're looking for), since they've been active in the area for many years.