• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Horses for Hope

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarmieJo

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Carmie
Tanya's thread made me remember that Horses for Hope, the stables where I participate in therapeutic riding had a video/photo shoot yesterday. (We are hoping that Extreme Home Makeover will choose us as a project.)

That is me in the America t-shirt holding the black mini. His name is Sargent and he nipped me on the arm so I gave him a headlock. :) I ride Diablo, the chestnut pony (14.1 hh), standing right behind me. He doesn't act anything like a devil, so I don't know why he is named Diablo.

Mystics Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tanya
that is a GREAT program Carmie..that would be GREAT if they get the extreme makeover:laughing12:

Mystics Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tanya
the pic with the boy in the w/c reminds me of Richie (my son) he loved spending time around Scout and the horses..his standing chair got him real close so he could brush him..scout would come over to the van and stick his head in to see what Richie had to eat sad when all we get is memories Tell them at your riding program THEY ROCK from RICHIE and ME

K&J Birds

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
J.T.
This seems like a really wonderful program!!!! I really hope you guys get chosen! That'd be sooo cool!!!

CarmieJo

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Carmie
Their program is WONDERFUL. Many therapeutic programs charge their riders as much as or more than able-bodied riders. HfH has a sliding scale starting at $0 and the participants or their parents determine what they can afford. Even if you have a good job you might not be able to afford $50 a week to ride, especially if you have copays for other therapies. And, my insurance considers riding, even therapeutic riding, as recreation and not as therapy so that means the whole cost would come out of my pocket.

J.T. I love the dragons that you have in your siggy now!

K&J Birds

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
J.T.
Their program is WONDERFUL. Many therapeutic programs charge their riders as much as or more than able-bodied riders. HfH has a sliding scale starting at $0 and the participants or their parents determine what they can afford. Even if you have a good job you might not be able to afford $50 a week to ride, especially if you have copays for other therapies. And, my insurance considers riding, even therapeutic riding, as recreation and not as therapy so that means the whole cost would come out of my pocket.

J.T. I love the dragons that you have in your siggy now!
That IS a wonderful program!!!!! I honestly can't believe that people would be ok with charging like that... Honestly now...

(P.S.: THANKS!! Was a pain, but hey, gotta love em! XD)

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
What a wonderful program!! Love the pic too! :dance4:

zoomama

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
Good luck....I hope your program gets selected.

CarmieJo

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Carmie
I rode tonight. I probably won't be able to walk tomorrow not even with my crutches. I started learning pole bending which should really help strengthen my bad leg and arm too for that matter. I also rode at a canter (just in a straight line) for the first time since I have been hurt.

Tanya, I told the founder about you and Richie and that the picture of boy in the w/c reminded you of him. I also told her your friend's quote that the outside of a horse is good for the inside of the soul and how much it resonated with me.

CarmieJo

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Carmie
Ummm, all of me hurts. I'm getting in the hot tub tonight!

CarmieJo

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Carmie
I rode again tonight and did more pole bending. My instructor has to keep reminding me to keep my heels down, especially on the bad leg. (The last time I had surgery I expected to have a procedure to lengthen the gastrocnemius (calf muscle) but once the doctor did the other 4 procedures he decided not to.) Soooo, stretching those muscles should really help me with walking.

Status
Not open for further replies.