• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

horse question

Happynme

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carmen
Ive been around horses here and there and have some experience with them...but my father in laws horse confuses me a little with a couple things he does. i thought maybe someone here who lives sleeps eats and breathes horses may have an idea.
"Ned" 3yr (roughly) paint. Is a very good boy. He is still "learning" lots of. Things...but one thing Ive managed to figure out about him is to take all movements slow. Let him smell me and lower his head and relax a bit before i try to touch him. Just basic respect ...
Here are the odditys and questions:
After he relaxes and will allow me to touch him (usually i go for his muzzle or forehead...maybe jaw line).. And he will seem to enjoy it. His eyes show that he is calm (as does ears legs ect) and then all of a sudden its like in the middle of being pet...he all of a sudden gets this wide eyed look...trembles a bit and then steps back while pulling head up and away.
Then Ill go to walk away thinking hes spooked or whatnot and he will walk back up as if he wants more attention. So we do the above senerio 2 or 3 more times. Is he just jumpy in general or am I doing something wrong?

The second thing he does...he will lick me my arm my hand...(my car too oddly ha ha)...and while thats nothing odd what he usually does following the lick is making me go huh? He will gently pull at my skin With LIPS ONLY. ive never had a horse do that. Ive been licked and nibbled and unfortunatly BIT( learned how to NOT hold apple slice when giving a horse a snack quick lol) . BUT never pulled on with just lips. Is this weird..or have i just missed the experince.

Silly questions sorry...but id like to esp know if im the one spooking him in the first question.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Horses are very in tune to the world around them. Like parrots they are prey animals. Comfort levels for them will mimic yours, if your on edge a bit so can he.

Sounds like he is just noticing something while you are mid petting. :) If he wanted to go somewhere else he would. The licking and mouthing is most likely the salt taste on yours hands, bring him some carrots next time. ;)

Happynme

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carmen
Horses are very in tune to the world around them. Like parrots they are prey animals. Comfort levels for them will mimic yours, if your on edge a bit so can he.

Sounds like he is just noticing something while you are mid petting. :) If he wanted to go somewhere else he would. The licking and mouthing is most likely the salt taste on yours hands, bring him some carrots next time. ;)
Lol oddly hes not a carrot fan. His favorite treat ive found is cinnamon apple rice cakes and clementine oranges! He makes the funniest face after the oranges!
Thank you for answering me. I just wanted to make sure I wasnt spooking him somehow. And your right...when hes "done" with petting or me he leaves. I do try to check my mood before being near him...i learned long time ago pissy/nervy human equals jumpy horse. Hes a pretty patient guy but once hes got what he wants hes off and you just have to smile as it is remenicient of a child...got cookie mama? Munch munch...ok off and running better things to see and do...ha!

Happynme

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carmen
Ps my fil says im spoiling him with the oranges n rice cakes but he smiles when he says it. Its really nice to have someone let you bond a little with their animal.. Some people i met once would dang near have a conniption if you fed their horse anything. Got yelled at over a bit of banana. Ok ive got a 19.5 hands horse sticking his head in my lap and is rooting around after my lunch. What am i supposed to do when nearly pinned to the tree i was lofting under. Pushy horse maybe but a half a banana and he let me up...lol

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
with the horses at the farm, I have found that they like cinnamon, so I make horse treats for them. one granny smith green apple, I cut it into thinnest slices possible (and save the core for them) I lay them flat on baking pan and dust a little cinnamon over the slices. This does not have to be the most expensive cinnamon you can find either, just $ tree cinnamon. turn on the oven let it reach 300 degrees and turn it off, put the pan on the bottom rack and let it sit over night. the apples should be dried out, if they aren't, do it one more time. my horse love cinne-apples.

Happynme

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carmen
with the horses at the farm, I have found that they like cinnamon, so I make horse treats for them. one granny smith green apple, I cut it into thinnest slices possible (and save the core for them) I lay them flat on baking pan and dust a little cinnamon over the slices. This does not have to be the most expensive cinnamon you can find either, just $ tree cinnamon. turn on the oven let it reach 300 degrees and turn it off, put the pan on the bottom rack and let it sit over night. the apples should be dried out, if they aren't, do it one more time. my horse love cinne-apples.
Thats a great idea. I may have to try this!

BlueThroatMacaw

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Zac
Lol hes just a baby!! He needs to get comfortable with you!! remember he is new to this to.

Happynme

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carmen
Ned says he approves of this recipie very much! Oddly he dosent like apples by themselves...but after putting the cinn on them...he was a happy camper. I forgot to come back on this thread and tell you.

Omena

Moving in
Real Name
Oona
When you back off after he spooks, you let him know that there is absolutely something to be worried about.

He looks like a Half Arabian to me (would bet for it). Arabs have a tendency of testing if we can lead, and being sensitive animals, reacting to everything in the environment. So it's for us to show them example. Best thing to do is not to react to whatever caused the spook. Ask him to come back to you and continue doing what you did.

He is licking you hands because he is lacking salt. Also, colts and geldings are very mouthy. It's a male thing, and it's good to put limits to it. :)