• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hormones!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lolle

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Louise
When will Love stop being so full of hormones? She keeps biteing and wanting to hump everything.. She is 6 months old now and im going crazy!
One sec everything is fine, the next she flys to me and bites me in my neck or whatever she can grab.. Its imposible to have her out at times...
she even started humping my hair -_- cant have a ponytail when she is out or i will be humped and bitten til i cant fight with her anymore..

I want my baby back.. when do you think she will be over this?

BirdsFTW

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Maya
Is she DNA'd female?? Have you done the "typical" changes/restrictions to help curb hormonal behavior (lowering fat intake temporarily, cutting daylight hours, no tent or nest-like things, rearranging the entire cage, moving entire cage to another location, etc)? Though lovebirds can reach sexual maturity that early, I haven't personally known any that reached it - and began hormonal behavior - at six months! Wow.

Lolle

Real Name
Louise
There is no doubt that Love is a girl, we dont need the dna test.. She is behaving that bad... Love has no nesting matrieal no tents thats why she uses my hair... its nice and soft >_<.. Love does not spent alot of time in her cage, only when the window is open or she has to sleep at night.. We have had 10 lovebird babies that all went into this hormonal fase around 6 months of age, We just havent seen it go away again, cause we gave away alll the birds but Love.. The first 5 babies made babies before they turned 1 -_- without us knowing about it.. So had to handfeed every 2 hours to keep the little buggers alive.. To avoid more babies, we stuck to 1 bird.. She is spoiled, she gets pallets to eat, aswell as eating from our plates, she loves corn and you can just try and keep her away from your food if your eating corn..

I dont understand how Love can be in this fase so early, she is alone, no birds around to make her crazy :huh: We love her and no matter how much she bites, we can take it.. But would be heavenly if it would stop.. She bit my finger till it was blue one day, cause i wouldnt pull away from my keyboard..

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Lovebirds do not do well as single birds. It may be one of her problems.

Lolle

Real Name
Louise
Might be.. but she is never alone..

Ankou

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Sondra
Lovebirds do not do well as single birds. It may be one of her problems.
This isn't true, depending on the care provided. Kept singly they do require a lot more attention to remain happy but they do fine. A glance at these threads reveals several examples of single, happy, well adjusted, companion lovebirds. Lovebirds do require company to be happy however (human or bird,) so it is true a bird left alone will not do well.

As for her hormone problems, I also find it strange they are happening so young and without things like a nest being available. :confused:
Still, it might be a matter of waiting it out for a while. It's my understanding that the first hormonal cycle is the hardest on both the bird and it's people. She's young, and like a teenager could have trouble with that sort of thing. Still, I only have experience with one bird, also a single female lovebird, and her first outburst would have been over 10 years ago so my memory could be spotty. I do remember my hands being covered in little bite marks, if that's any indication of trouble. XD
One thing I do remember doing is when she would get humpy, I would put her back in her cage for a few minutes. Not for long or as punishment, just give her some time to get herself under control and snap out of it. She would go into some kind of humping trance and I would have to sit on my hands (the object of her affection...) just to get a reprieve!

Maya has some good advice, try rearranging her cage or moving it. It sounds like, with all the biting, she is very territorial. Does she have a toy or area she is protecting or trying to mate with? If so, it should be removed or blocked. Like you've already done with your ponytails, just removing these little things can maybe stop her.
Is she trying to gather nesting material too? If so, keeping her away from things she uses could also help.
Another thing you could try is a sort of simulated winter, put her to bed earlier to make it seem like there is more darkness.

Finally, if all else fails, she should eventually stop being hormonal... until next year. In my experience, it's gotten easier with time too. Not only has Peanut (seemingly) learned to control her urges better, I've gotten better at avoiding her triggers. The past several summers have gone humping and egg free.
Still, it would give you another year to work on your bond with her, and foster more trust. Hopefully as she trusts you more and matures even when she does get hormonal she won't be so quick to attack.

Edit:
Oy, sorry for the wall of text. I hope some of it is helpful if you can read it all without getting bored of my rambling. XD

Lolle

Real Name
Louise
I love wall of text!
Love is very active.. she playes around like normal, she can cuddle like she always does.. i just let her out of her cage, and she is the sweetest little baby! sometimes she will try and destroy paper, then we take it away.. She has nothing she is protecting, her cage we can be in as we want too.. her toys we can take aswell without her careing to much about it.. She will however bite your hands off if you go near my makeup bag.. but she havent gone to it for the bast month.. She loves silver things to bite in.. she just saw a zipper went for it then went back to bite my ear.. then 2 sec later i can give her kisses without a problem.. She is only humping my hair, and i will make sure to make that imposible.. and i try to put her in her cage whenever she bites, but its •••• hard sometimes! We do our best not to show her she can get away with biting.. and i can get her to back off.. but othertimes it becomes to much and i have to back down.. At the moment the only thing im mad about is her flying and then attacking without any cause or interaction before hand that would lead to biting.. Might be she is chasing flies, or a hair.. but doesnt seem posible..

She isnt looking for a place to nest.. she isnt plucking.. She once had a paper stuck in her wings, but we made sure to take that away.. we dont pet her down her back.. My boyfriend was saying she was only a problem when i am home, like im her mate she has to protect >.< but why does she then bite me like that..

i love her.. i want her to only be nice!

Ankou

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Sondra
That's good you don't hold a grudge when she bites, it can be hard but I'm sure you'll get through it. If she still likes to cuddle it's good to remember the bird obviously likes you, just something is setting her off.
I wonder... have you tried really changing up your hair? Like putting up in a bun even or something. I'm really at a loss here as what to do about that and hope someone more experienced has better advice than I can give. It's just strange to me she want's to mate with your hair rather than gather it up and make a nest.

Does she bite at you more when you are with other people? She could be trying to control you, make you go away from the other people. They can be very jealous and she might want you to herself! It might be hard to figure out why she is flying at and attacking you, but generally birds don't do anything for no reason at all... just we people often can't tell the reason and they can't really tell us why. Well, the biting is them trying to tell us something.
The best advice I can give is to watch her and pay attention to what you were doing right before she bit. Sometimes a patten will emerge or at the very least you can get better acquainted with her body language so you can tell right before she comes at you.

Another thing too, she may never stop biting, only biting a lot less. You probably know that already and just want her to stop constantly biting but I like to ramble.
Female peachies are a bit notorious for being territorial but that doesn't mean she can't be a wonderful loving companion. After 11 years 'Nut will still bite me from time to time, usually just a painless warning when she's uncomfortable with a situation but every once and a while she will nail me. I remember the last real bite from a month or so ago, she drew blood when I didn't notice she had decided the bottle cap on a soda I was drinking now belonged to her. I wasn't watching her and didn't see her warning. Nothing personal, she doesn't love me any less, like Love doesn't love you any less, she just needed to tell me I was touching her stuff and chose to do so with violence because I didn't listen.

Lolle

Real Name
Louise
A bird will bite, that you cant prevent.. I can only take her bite cause i handfed her.. I dont dare to put my hands at other birds not even if they are 100% tame.. i can only take my baby.. I can take alot, even 20 bites in the same finger.. but as it is right now i see the reason cause she wants to mate and hump everything.. She will even bite me when im alone or with others, but she is just sweet to my boyfriend when he is alone with her.. If he is with me, he will be bitten..

Loves stuff is my keyboard, my mouse, my hair, my food, pen, phone, everything..

Lolle

Real Name
Louise
Love has become alot more sweet again.. she still tries to hump my hair when she gets a chance.. but she doesnt bite as much... When she bites she is put in her cage.. For now its great

Status
Not open for further replies.