• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hormones? To do or not to do? Advice please

FLmom

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Linda
So I posted here a while back about Kai being hormonal and choosing my 13 year old daughter as his mate. He built a mansion in her closet and was extremely obsessed with being with her 24/7.

since then we have removed the nest and taken him to the Birdie boarder for about 5 days. He has been back now for a week and the first day back he seemed a lot calmer. We were very careful not to trigger him. But after 24 hrs he went right back to his obsession.

my question now is this...... we are all home 24/7 so do we need to let him hang out with her to keep him calm or do we need to keep him separate from her as best we can? He has not been allowed to nest and she is very careful not to respond to his obsessive ways. But with us all being there 24/7 sometimes it’s just easier to let him sit with her so he will chill out. Now I wonder if that is a good thing or a bad thing? He is on his stand in her room but still only wants to sit on her shoulder and preen. The kid has online school to do but if he can’t see her he screams and screams and screams. I’m wondering if he should go back to the bird boarder for longer or what should we do at home to help get him past this?

thanks for any advice

FLmom

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Linda
Did I post this in the wrong place? It doesn’t show up when I look for it in new posts? I was so hoping to have a few bits of advice when I checked back just now :sad1:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
If he's a young adult then the first few seasons of hormones are going to kick in hard (just like a teenager). Hormones are a cycle. Once started they must be able to run their course which can be anywhere from 6 to 12 weeks. You can try and minimize their effects as you've been doing but that's about it. It will get better.

This article has lots of insight and ways to approach things.

FLmom

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Linda
He is 9years old. Is that considered a young adult?
Thanks for the response I feel bad for him because he seems miserable but we are hoping it will fade soon

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
No. 9 is a fully mature adult. 2 is a young adult.

ALASKATOOS

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
MICHAEL STANTON
So I posted here a while back about Kai being hormonal and choosing my 13 year old daughter as his mate. He built a mansion in her closet and was extremely obsessed with being with her 24/7.

since then we have removed the nest and taken him to the Birdie boarder for about 5 days. He has been back now for a week and the first day back he seemed a lot calmer. We were very careful not to trigger him. But after 24 hrs he went right back to his obsession.

my question now is this...... we are all home 24/7 so do we need to let him hang out with her to keep him calm or do we need to keep him separate from her as best we can? He has not been allowed to nest and she is very careful not to respond to his obsessive ways. But with us all being there 24/7 sometimes it’s just easier to let him sit with her so he will chill out. Now I wonder if that is a good thing or a bad thing? He is on his stand in her room but still only wants to sit on her shoulder and preen. The kid has online school to do but if he can’t see her he screams and screams and screams. I’m wondering if he should go back to the bird boarder for longer or what should we do at home to help get him past this?

thanks for any advice
HAVE YOU TRIED TARGET TRAINING OR STATION TRAINING? BIRD TRICKS ON YOU TUBE HAS SOME EXCELLENT VIDEOS REGARDING OBSESSIVE/COMPULSIVE BEHAVIOR THAT SHOULD TAKE CARE OF THE PROBLEM. SENDING YOUR BIRD AWAY FROM THE PROBLEM DOES NOT ELIMINATE THE PROBLEM AND MAY ONLY NEGATIVELY RE-ENFORCE UNDESIRABLE BEHAVIOR.
SINCERELY,
MICHAEL STANTON

Last edited by a moderator:

FLmom

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Linda
Thanks for the Birdtricks tip. I’ve watched many of their videos and we are going to try the station training with him. I just have to figure out what his training treat should be. I can’t think of anything small enough that he likes that much aside from peanut butter.

I also reached out to them in email and have a response from them as well! So thank you!