• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

hormones raging?

Flokirocks

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Suzan
Hi,

So, I think the hormones are slamming in at high peaks with Floki since last week. She's screaming like frantic (not the type of screaming/calling she usually does) and doing a lot of the tail up - head down - making squeeky noises - movement (I'm sorry, don't know what the correct word is, but I think you know what I mean hahaha).
Been reading up on this a lot and so far I've been ignoring the move, added 2 extra hrs of darkness/silence a night and made sure her overall food isn't too fatty, and to not touching her back/wings.

I know this all won't go away in the course of a couple days, I'm just feeling a bit doubtful as to am I doing what I can? I started the 14 hrs darkness this Thursday and yesterday was a first ok day; she was at ease, sitting relaxed on my shoulder and more whistling than screaming.
Today however, different story; lots of screaming and restlessness.

Now, I have her caged, with a quarter of the cage covered in the room next door as she seems to be more at ease like this, sitting relaxed and scraping her beak. If I have her out for example on a day like today, she gets really restless; not just in her screaming but also looking at her body language and she doesn't seem happy at all.
I feel so bad about it and feel like I am coming short in helping her.

My previous tiel was a boy and I can't remember issues like this around the hormone highway ....

Maybe someone can ease my restless mind, pat my shoulder and tell me it's gonna be okay ;) Any extra advice available I'd love to know!

Flokirocks

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Suzan
Oh, she's not completely isolated! I live in an appartement and am now working in the kitchen, she's in the living room next door with the doors in between open.
Thought I'd mention it so you won't think I'm isolating her :shy:

Reactions: Ali

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I think it takes about 2 weeks of the increased sleep time to calm hormones down. And then she should be able to go back to normal sleep time. Does she have foraging toys? Even just weaving some paper through her cage bars to chew on might keep her busy. It seems like my tiels get extra "chewy" when they're hormonal. I've only ever had boys but it will be okay. :)

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I would be careful about partially covering her cage because you don’t want to make it too cozy and nest like. You can try partially closing some of the blinds/drapes in her room a bit instead if it’s really sunny in there. One of my birds gets hormonal when she can just see a nest site and I had to cover up her view of the dark area behind a bookcase. I also discourage her from trying to find a nest on the cage floor by putting shortened dowel perches there so they roll around on her and make it inhospitable. You can rearrange her cage frequently and take out any toys she becomes too “friendly” with. She will probably calm down in a week or two.

Flokirocks

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Suzan
Ok, thank you! Was already taking a week or 2 into account...
She has got stuff to forage with in her cage, however, she just can't be bothered by it :rofl: She shows no interest to whatever kind of toys in her cage. She's the happiest when she has a shoelace to chew on or a piece of a tissue to make rolls with in her beak.
I'll take the cage covering in account, thank you for that tip @Tiel Feathers

I'm just gonna take it day by day and remind myself it's just a thing she needs to go through.

Thank you both!