• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hormones or sickness?

JenA

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jen Authier
My almost 4 year old conure disappeared 3 weeks ago, I have already posted regarding his passing, but now am wondering about the behaviour before he left us. He had gotten himself into an accident one night, a long story, but a rat that was in my husbands hobby room outside of our house scared him, and he either got in a fight with it, or flew around and rammed himself into his cage, where we found him bleeding near his beak. We called an avian vet because his eye seemed infected with discharge, the vet told us to keep it clean, and that’s about all we could do. Over a months time Mango seemed ok, the eye was almost cleared up, but he started nesting and finding dark places to hide. He didn’t want to come out with us, he just wanted to sit in his nests and dark places he made. But he was eating and drinking and flying ok, he just seemed different and distant. The last two weeks, he started biting us and regurgitating on things, in his nest areas and dark places he found, and on our personal belongings. It was not a good two weeks with him. Then one day I went to check on him, he didn’t want to come in with me as he usually did, and he was gone by the afternoon. Disappeared. My husband found a very small hole that lead under his hobby room, and he must have escaped down there and who knows from there. Either he chewed the hole or the rat did. We did not know the hole was there. There are a few openings under the room to get out as well. Can anyone explain this odd nesting, distant, regurgitating behaviour? I’m so worried that the rat incident may have left him sick. We didn’t realize that it was a rat until he was already gone from us. We figured it out after the fact.

Feathery

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Nichole
All of the behaviors you're describing are hormone related - nesting, hiding or seeking dark areas, regurgitating, "mood" changes.

Have you considered looking down the hole? Do you think it would help if you searched for his remains? Plumbers use those scope cameras for drains that can be purchased on Amazon for around $100. Not sure if that would bring you any closure.

JenA

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jen Authier
All of the behaviors you're describing are hormone related - nesting, hiding or seeking dark areas, regurgitating, "mood" changes.

Have you considered looking down the hole? Do you think it would help if you searched for his remains? Plumbers use those scope cameras for drains that can be purchased on Amazon for around $100. Not sure if that would bring you any closure.

We have tried looking down the hole, we’ve put a phone down there and tried to take pictures and videos. It’s really hard. But the plumber idea is a good one. Thank you. It would be nice to at least know where his body was left, unless he escaped outside.