• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hormones and Bird Poop

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Random question: when birds are going through their hormonal season, can it cause the volume and frequency of their poops to increase? I feel like all I’m doing is cleaning up after my boys, and I don’t think I noticed this before. Of course this season for the budgies has been particularly high octane, and now that Opie is more comfortable with me and in my home, he’s been very very nesty.

Greylady1966

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Carol
I can only speak from my experience with Koko when she was sitting on her eggs. The first time she came out to poop in the morning or after sitting for long periods, I was shocked. I didn't think anything like that was possible!

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
She’s a big, beautiful gal! :) My boys don’t have the excuse of sitting on eggs, I’m afraid. I’ve searched AA for this topic but haven’t found anything. I may not be using the right search terms.

Momof3litt

Sprinting down the street
Curious to see other responses, I've been noticing this in my budgies as well...

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
As long as their weight is steady then it's fine. Budgies are generally getting busy at this time of year, burning more calories, and eating more and pooping more is quite natural and expected. Surely you've noticed them eating more too?

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
As long as their weight is steady then it's fine. Budgies are generally getting busy at this time of year, burning more calories, and eating more and pooping more is quite natural and expected. Surely you've noticed them eating more too?
Yes... Especially green veggies

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The amount they're eating hasn't seemed to change. But, I don't weigh their dishes when I take them out of the cage to replace them. I'm sure I should. I suppose the only time I really notice any changes in appetite is when they are *not* eating. I'll keep a closer eye on that, too. Thank you, @Ripshod!

katm89

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kat
Hi I just found this thread through a google search. Thanks for putting it out there bc all I feel like I’m doing is cleaning up turds! My female conure is going through a rough hormonal stint and she’s a popping maniac. I was curious if it was similar to how dogs mark? Maybe they start feeling more territorial and mark more ‍♀

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I did notice during the hormonal carry on that my boy was putting out larger poops and pooping more often but he also had an increased appetite which would explain the increased pooping.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
mmmm....not seeing that in my budgie boys. Tho they are feeling frisky.
But I hate how much budgies poop in general....lol was complaining to my friend recently...how they poop overnight unlike my other parrots

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
mmmm....not seeing that in my budgie boys. Tho they are feeling frisky.
But I hate how much budgies poop in general....lol was complaining to my friend recently...how they poop overnight unlike my other parrots
Actually now that you mention budgies.. I did not see a poop change in my budgie but in Burt there was definitely a difference.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
In humans, hormones can absolutely affect digestion and the intestines, which can have a direct effect on poop. So I don't think it's a wild jump to assume the same can be true for parrots!

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
Dolly is on her eggs so she will stay in there for ages before pooping. 2-3 hours.
Frankie is my super pooper. He is constantly pooping. Every 30 minutes or so.

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
Speak of the devil, she just came out to poop and eat her veggies. :)

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Mojo very hormonal at the moment is eating much more than usual and what go's in etc.
Massive