• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hormones already??

Status
Not open for further replies.

carkam

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
My Sennie/Meyer hybrid has had his flights in for a month or more now and he just began flying around. The issue is he goes after my hubby and goes for my GCC now. I am also worried as he flies to my dinner plate and hot food. He is also being quite stubborn when asked to step up and nipping a little too!!:eek: I am thinking I may need to get him a slight clip to calm him down a little:(, he will be 2 in Jan or Feb. Can a light clip help?

Shade

Crazy for Pois!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natacha
My Sennie/Meyer hybrid has had his flights in for a month or more now and he just began flying around. The issue is he goes after my hubby and goes for my GCC now. I am also worried as he flies to my dinner plate and hot food. He is also being quite stubborn when asked to step up and nipping a little too!!:eek: I am thinking I may need to get him a slight clip to calm him down a little:(, he will be 2 in Jan or Feb. Can a light clip help?
Sounds like it could be "terrible twos" - time to set boundaries and to be firm with him :)

carkam

Avenue Veteran
How do I do that? My GCC went through it somewhat, but has never been as stubborn as Big Bird! I keep putting him back when he does it, but he just keeps coming back! He has always been stubborn, but now even more so!!:eek:

65sunnyday

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
April, aka 'SUNNY'
I would think so--but I don't really know about these birds, but it sounds to me like you might have to, for every one's safety. Others will see this & someone will have suggestions:hug8:

KatherinesBirds

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katherine
I thing you would be well advised to start setting some boundaries. Maybe this bird is too young to be in breeding behavior. Anyone have thoughts on this?? My Meyer's is really crazy right now!!!:dance4:Acting just like this little banana guy! Sometimes I have found that a clipping (however you choose to do this) might help. Or, just be careful and wait this out.
How many others of us are living in POI CRAZINESS??
K.

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Pois are very assertive parrots. My Meyers both are very stubborn and very difficult to redirect. Hobbs was worse than Trixie is, but Trix is quite single minded. Hobbs stubborn vindetta with Precie is what lead to his death. Sunshine Senegal is also quite single minded, but not to the extent of the Meyers. So the behavior I am hearing from Big Bird is quite normal for Meyers and is often the way Trixie acts; chasing Sunshine and any other bird away from me and requiring no one touch or kiss me when she is out OR ELSE!

A little clip to gain control of he terrorist tendencies is probably going to be your only recourse. I had to do that with Hobbs and it did slow him down enough I could intervene in his attacks and if he tried to hurt people, I put him in his cage for a time out, then let him out later. It was effective in mitigating his aggression. I am against making a bird totally flightless, however.

Good luck. I understand where you are coming from.

carkam

Avenue Veteran
I guess I may have to put him in his cage and do a light clip!:(

KatherinesBirds

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katherine
Yes! Lois, I agree. I am enlisting the help of my husband when he gets back in town to do some clipping. For me, this is the only way I can handle Wiggles right now. I know there are other opinions on this subject. I respect all of them equally.
Wiggles is the epitome of "Single Minded" at this point! Wow. If he could describe himself this is what he would say:

I am an astonishingly handsome and kinda lonely guy. I'm about 6ft 4inches tall and weighing 240. Come on over and visit me in my cage baby! The sooner the better! Call me!

Somebody needs clipping.

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Yeah, the Meyers are quite single minded, and it is THEIR way or the highway! My sennie is not quite as assertive/aggressive, but she has her moments. Sunny will come over and demand I take my hands off another bird if I am holding them to trim nails or even just petting them. Sunny has learned when I tell her NO and shoo her away with a hand motion, she is to stop bugging me and let me finish what I am doing. This training never stuck with Hobbs or with Trixie, no matter how often I redirected, time out or caged those two. A friend on another forum states sennies and meyers are worse than Amazons and Cockatoos when it comes to their aggressive side!

I am lucky in that I do not have birds attacking people in my birdroom. If I hug or kiss someone in the birdroom, neither Sunny nor Trixie will land on or attack that person, but they will land on me and voice a protest!

Barb E

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Barb
Oh the horrormones of the Meyers!!!

My poor little Buddy is now suffering the consequences of his aggression due to hormones :((
He attacked our GW macaw and now has a broken wing. It happened so quickly there was no way I could have stopped it.

We've always kept him only slightly clipped because flying is such good exercise for him. Fully flighted he was a terror to the household and all that entered.
We always put him in his cage before people come to visit.
He wouldn't attack right away but wait and watch for the perfect moment and then swoop down and bite a neck - little vampire.

I've always wondered how a flock of them get along in the wild?

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Barb, I saw a little natural flock behavior from a Meyers study and those little guys are constantly pushing one another and yelling and jockeying for position. The real trouble came when a bird from another species (perching bird) landed on the same limb as the Meyers and those little buggers all seemed to go toward that poor bird like a directed army! With all the interaction in the Meyers flock, I saw no injuries, but I did see a lot of aggressive postures and mock bites toward one another. Very interesting.

KatherinesBirds

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katherine
Yes! Lots of posturing. I just watched a video depicting the vocalizations and interactions of Meyers in the wild. Little bullies! I now understand why we must set boundaries and be firm but loving with these little crocodiles!
Katherine
:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.