• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hormonal Tiel Advice

LoveToki

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Zee
My sweet little Moki has started bending over and chirping softly in her cage. She is around 8 months if I use the birthdate the store owner gave me.
She is a cuddler but I never pet her back or wings.. so I don't THINK I've done anything to bring this on myself, but who knows. She eats a mixture of harrisons and roudybush pellets in the morning with fresh veggies, and then she gets seed mix around 4pm everyday. She sleeps for 12 hours a night, so I of course looked through the forums and googled and from what I can see the best thing I can do is limit cuddle times and put her to bed earlier then usual. So I guess she will be going to bed when the sun goes down around 5pm and I'll get her up around 8am giving her around 9 hours of daylight? Seems like a lot of time sleeping, but from what I've read that might help tone down her hormones.
Let me know if I'm overreacting or if there's anything else I should be doing.

PS I love the snow on the website.. 23 days until Christmas!! :bounce3:

Veritgo01

Strolling the yard
Have you tried to rearrange things in her cage?

LoveToki

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Zee
Have you tried to rearrange things in her cage?
Now that you mention it, I just rearranged her entire cage last week, prior to this starting. Could the new arrangement have brought it on?

Veritgo01

Strolling the yard
That’s a possibility. Try changing it back. I’m curious as to what will happen.

gamermouse

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Nicole
While this method worked for my older boy tiel, it didn't work for my female. I began putting him to bed around 5-6 pm and leaving the cage covered until 9 in the morning. It felt so excessive to me as well, but he ceased masturbating frequently on his toys and did the trick. I was gradually able to move us back to our usual schedule and uncover them a little earlier too.

budgieluv3

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Bear (It's a nickname)
Let linger bed time hours, rearrange the cage very frequently, and give lots of foraging options. Hope it all works out!