• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hormonal (possibly female) 1 year old

baigfaez

Meeting neighbors
My IRN is about a year old now and they're getting extremely hormonal I think. When I give them scratches they'll get low, raise their head up, and making squeaky noises while vibrating (which makes me think they're a girl), so I've stopped scratching to prevent getting them too excited. I've started reorganizing the cage as well and I plan to do it regularly (maybe weekly), and they usually sleep for about 12-13 hours so I think they're getting enough time in the dark. What else can I do to help reduce how hormonal they are, and how long does this phase typically last?

Extra question: My IRN hasn't mimicked at all and I was under the impression that it starts at about 1 year. Is it possible they may never talk?

Thank you!

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to hormonal season,,;)..males get theyre ring around 2 years old, females dont get the ring,,sounds to me like you have a girl.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
In regards to your mimic question, not all birds will mimic. Some also mimic in our absents. So it is possible when you aren't around she is saying more than you know.

I personally don't mind if my birds mimic. I spend more time trying to learn their complex vocalisations.

If it happens it will happen, but it is good to remove any expectation. Not all birds are as chatty as others. She will speak when and if she wants :)