• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hormonal girl

Littlelovebird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Laurie
Hey guys!
So I have a 1yr old lovebird and she is soooo hormonal. I only had males in the past and it was really mild hormonal period compare to this so Im a bit unsure of a couple things And I would like your advice!

So we reduced daylight time and she spends a good 12-13 Hrs in complete darkness.

no petting, scratching her on other areas then the head.

changed her diet to remove all fats and treats.

she doesnt have access to anything for nesting and there are no nesting area other than the sofa cushions which we now removes when she is with us in the living room.

but still everyday, multiple times a day the tail goes up, the wings are stretched on her side and she turns around. Then when nothing happens she attacks us and bites really hard. She draws blood!

so I have 3 questions and IM open to suggestions if you have ideas that could help!

1.I found her shredding a book today. New nesting behaviour. She made shredded stripes with it. Im wondering if I should
access to paper as it can be seen as nesting material or if its ok to leave it since she is not building a nest and it occupies her?

2.She has a light over her cage with a special bulb good for birds. Should I remove that during light time?

3. is excessive scratching a hormonal behavior/sign?
As I said open to any suggestions that could help my little horny girl!

thanks!!

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
female lovebird laying eggs every month HELPPP

It seems you aren't the only one dealing with very hormonal lovies at the moment! I'm sorry for what you and your girl are going through. Definitely Zara will have some good advice, but in the meantime, here is a link to one of her posts on another thread of a similar topic.

I have two male budgies, so hormonal hens are not something I've experienced. I have read that perhaps distracting her when she gets that way by cueing a trick or doing a quick target training session may get her mind off of things, so to speak.

Littlelovebird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Laurie
female lovebird laying eggs every month HELPPP

It seems you aren't the only one dealing with very hormonal lovies at the moment! I'm sorry for what you and your girl are going through. Definitely Zara will have some good advice, but in the meantime, here is a link to one of her posts on another thread of a similar topic.

I have two male budgies, so hormonal hens are not something I've experienced. I have read that perhaps distracting her when she gets that way by cueing a trick or doing a quick target training session may get her mind off of things, so to speak.
Oh thanks! I already checked it out but everythinv mentioned in yhere I was already doing too . The only thing I could see in this would be the foraging but she didnt really figure it out yet .
Training sessions are definitely a good idea! Didnt think of that

Littlelovebird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Laurie
Sorry, I can’t help, but @Zara might know a bit about hormonal lovebirds ;)
ahh good! Zara often has good advice indeed!

I just thought of another question it might sound silly but does hiding in your clothes stimulates lovebirds? Skittles always tries to hide in my sweater sleeves as I like to wear oversize clothes. I struggle to get her out and she bites to stay there. Is that a hormonal behavior or just playful lovebird behavior? Just a curious

Maggiebird

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Sally
Maggie is super hormonal and there isn’t really much I can do besides training which helped a lot! Also making sure she is occupied so she can’t show her hormonal behavior. This is from personal experience so I don’t know if it will be the same for you. Sorry!!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
she spends a good 12-13 Hrs in complete darkness.
You can bump it up to 14 hours darkness when she is really hormonal like this.
Be sure the light time is really light, not dim light.
2.She has a light over her cage with a special bulb good for birds. Should I remove that during light time?
No, sounds like this is exactly what you need :)

1.I found her shredding a book today. New nesting behaviour. She made shredded stripes with it. Im wondering if I should
access to paper as it can be seen as nesting material or if its ok to leave it since she is not building a nest and it occupies her?
I let my girls have paper sometimes, but not if they are super hormonal as it just makes things worse. Though if they have (dummy) eggs , I will give them paper away from the eggs to get her up from sitting all day, but I remove any nest progress nightly.

3. is excessive scratching a hormonal behavior/sign?
Sounds like her second moult. You can offer additional bathing opportunities.

The only thing I could see in this would be the foraging but she didnt really figure it out yet .
Foraging really is a game changer. It doesn´t have to be super difficult (like complicated toys), it can be super easy, did you see the link with foraging ideas? Something like my marble plate, anybirdy can do it! A great way to start. Even foragin baskets.
She will get better at foraging over time.

I just thought of another question it might sound silly but does hiding in your clothes stimulates lovebirds? Skittles always tries to hide in my sweater sleeves as I like to wear oversize clothes. I struggle to get her out and she bites to stay there. Is that a hormonal behavior or just playful lovebird behavior?
This is cavity seeking. I would not allow it. You can see yourself the results are not good (biting when you try to remove her). Wear a tighter top or get elastic band or hair bobble and put it around your wrist over your sleeves to close it.
Some birds do this in a playful manner, but will come out and not bite, and not be hormonal trying to mate/present etc I babysat my friends bird (she was hatched here) and she jumped right down my top at the first chance, my friend said she did it often, but I found it super easy to get her out, she just wanted to snuggle in the warmth and was not hormonal.

but still everyday, multiple times a day the tail goes up, the wings are stretched on her side and she turns around. Then when nothing happens she attacks us and bites really hard.
I´m just wondering, what is happening when she is doing this? Maybe it is after something? Have a think if there´s anything that might be setting her off... could be something like, after eating together.. or after 20 mins of sitting on your hand... If there is something, you could try interrupt that this before she starts presenting. Just a thought :)

@Leih might have something more to add as she has a single hen

Leih

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
Definitely encourage foraging. I started with easy stuff like a Nutriberry wrapped in paper with some holes cut in. I also sometimes through some large beads into her food dish so she has to dig through. Rearrange her cage regularly. When she does the display I quickly shake my girl off me because I know she's going to bite! Silly things seem to trigger her but most importantly is just redirecting her after she does it. When she went into sexual maturity she was pretty awful, she'd fly to me and bite me.... So.... It can be really trying but know that it will pass and she likely won't be as bad as this time.

Littlelovebird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Laurie
You can bump it up to 14 hours darkness when she is really hormonal like this.
Be sure the light time is really light, not dim light.

No, sounds like this is exactly what you need :)

I let my girls have paper sometimes, but not if they are super hormonal as it just makes things worse. Though if they have (dummy) eggs , I will give them paper away from the eggs to get her up from sitting all day, but I remove any nest progress nightly.

Sounds like her second moult. You can offer additional bathing opportunities.

Foraging really is a game changer. It doesn´t have to be super difficult (like complicated toys), it can be super easy, did you see the link with foraging ideas? Something like my marble plate, anybirdy can do it! A great way to start. Even foragin baskets.
She will get better at foraging over time.

This is cavity seeking. I would not allow it. You can see yourself the results are not good (biting when you try to remove her). Wear a tighter top or get elastic band or hair bobble and put it around your wrist over your sleeves to close it.
Some birds do this in a playful manner, but will come out and not bite, and not be hormonal trying to mate/present etc I babysat my friends bird (she was hatched here) and she jumped right down my top at the first chance, my friend said she did it often, but I found it super easy to get her out, she just wanted to snuggle in the warmth and was not hormonal.

I´m just wondering, what is happening when she is doing this? Maybe it is after something? Have a think if there´s anything that might be setting her off... could be something like, after eating together.. or after 20 mins of sitting on your hand... If there is something, you could try interrupt that this before she starts presenting. Just a thought :)

@Leih might have something more to add as she has a single hen
Excellent! Thanks for all the answers and advice!

For the seeking cavity she does it playfully sometimes and simply will have her head sticking outside my collar and stay there while I walk or do something. But lately its more climbing and trying to fit under my armpit or in my sleeve so will definitely try adjusting my clothes to make it harder for her! the elastic band is a good idea! Ill try that!

I tried to see what triggers her today and noticed that when I bring her a dish of veggies or simply change her water she does it. I flicked the lights off and on both times and she stopped right away. It was a good 15-20 min after she ate in another room so maybe she is more hormonal after eating or when I bring her food/water? Ill try to see if its a pattern or not!

Littlelovebird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Laurie
Definitely encourage foraging. I started with easy stuff like a Nutriberry wrapped in paper with some holes cut in. I also sometimes through some large beads into her food dish so she has to dig through. Rearrange her cage regularly. When she does the display I quickly shake my girl off me because I know she's going to bite! Silly things seem to trigger her but most importantly is just redirecting her after she does it. When she went into sexual maturity she was pretty awful, she'd fly to me and bite me.... So.... It can be really trying but know that it will pass and she likely won't be as bad as this time.
Thanks! I will definitely try the nutriberries in paper and the beads too! Those are great ideas!
The cage I rearrange every week lately! Should I do it more often?

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
Some other things my birds like are cupcake liners stacked and seeds and pellets dropped in between the layers and treats in the wicker ball. Right after I took that pic she did a display, so one of her silly turn ons is my phone :roflmao: I think it might be because she's seen and heard other birds on it, phones must be so strange to birds.

Attachments

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
Thanks! I will definitely try the nutriberries in paper and the beads too! Those are great ideas!
The cage I rearrange every week lately! Should I do it more often?
Weekly is plenty. I think if you add in foraging and switch those up that should help.

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
Excellent! Ill try your tips and ideas for the foraging! thanks again
Let us know how it goes! Fortunately with it being fall she should calm down soon. :)

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I tried to see what triggers her today and noticed that when I bring her a dish of veggies or simply change her water she does it.
That would make sense.
Lovebirds start their ¨mating dance¨ by the male doing his clicky sound and strutting, and then feeding the hen. He´s saying, ¨mate with me, I will take care of you and our offspring, look how good I am at regurgitating!¨. After he feeds her, she will usually get into the aeroplane position. (There´s sometimes some back and forth involved and toe nipping, but that´s the gist).

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
When I give Aoife treats while she's in her cage she often will do it then, too. I assumed it was because I am feeding her. But certain times of the year it seems like just about anything will trigger it.

budgieluv3

Real Name
Bear (It's a nickname)
Good luck!