• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hormonal Ekky

Birdslave

Checking out the neighborhood
Just took in my first Eclectus. He is 15 years old. Previous owner patted him full body from head to tail for 15 years. I was told if he tries to wiggle on your knee, just put him down. Or if he tries to give you wet gooey stuff, just put him in his cage. My question is, how long will it take to get him out of this habit, if we can. If we don’t stimulate him will he stop doing this. He takes his frustrations out in his cage on a paper towel cardboard roll.

TikkiTembo

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Chelsea
My Cockatoo does this almost daily, probably has been for 30 years due to previous owners. I don't expect it to stop completely, but ensuring he's busy busy busy with toys and foraging has helped. When I pet his head, and he presents me with his bottom, I walk away. He used to have a favorite sexy toy, and we removed it. He still mates with random things sometimes, but it's not obsessive like his favorite toy was.

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
:welcometrain: Always happy to meet another ekkie! Welcome to the avenue!

Birdslave

Checking out the neighborhood
My Cockatoo does this almost daily, probably has been for 30 years due to previous owners. I don't expect it to stop completely, but ensuring he's busy busy busy with toys and foraging has helped. When I pet his head, and he presents me with his bottom, I walk away. He used to have a favorite sexy toy, and we removed it. He still mates with random things sometimes, but it's not obsessive like his favorite toy was.
I was told his sexy toy was paper towel cardboard and to make sure he has one. Should I remove it? I guess it is stimulating him too.

TikkiTembo

Real Name
Chelsea
I was told his sexy toy was paper towel cardboard and to make sure he has one. Should I remove it? I guess it is stimulating him too.
I removed the toy he mated with ALL THE TIME. He still deems random toys as acceptable some days, but he doesn't have one that he mates with all day every day anymore. He used to mate with his bell and lay on it for hours. It had to go everywhere with him too!