• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hormonal Behavior in Ekkies

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
This thread is for examples and videos of your ekkies hormonal behavior.

mrstweet

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Amanda
I have no idea if/when Monty is hormonal! :lol: This will be useful!

frogfoot

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Ruby is such a sweet bird, but she does exhibit some hormonal behaviors (already! I've only had her about two weeks. :) ) Here we go:
1. she loooooves shoulders and sometimes she'll open her beak very wide and slowly move her face towards my mouth, begging to be fed. The first time she did this, I thought she just wanted a bite so I gave her a bit of rice, which she chugged down like a baby bird.
2. If I put my hand on her back she sometimes does a sensual, gyrating, side to side dance.
3. According to her previous owner, she also lays eggs that she defends aggressively.

So far she has been only sweet! When she starts that hormonal stuff, I just stop what I'm doing or gently push her head away when she's begging to be fed and so far she gets the message. Knock on wood!! I'm sure I'll have tons more to write after I've had her a little while and we get to know each other better. ^_^

Shinobi

Jogging around the block
I found this a few years ago the author is unknown
Action = Translation

Standing on two feet = I'm all right.
Standing on one foot = I'm relaxing.
Standing on one foot, feathers fluffed = I'm really relaxing.
Standing on one foot, grinding beak = I'm getting tired.
Standing on one foot, half fluffed, eyes glazed = I'm trying to get some sleep.
Head facing back, tucked under wing = I'm sleeping.
Tail shake = OK, I'm ready for something new or I'm happy to see you.
Rubbing beak back and forth against perch = I'm cleaning my Beak.
Spread wings a little and rub face on back = Getting ready for some serious preening.
Lift wing and picking at different feathers = Preening.
Reach back, run feathers through beak = Preening, have to keep looking my best.
Standing straight, staring right at you = I'm ready to be picked up.
Pacing back and forth on perch = I said I was ready to be picked up!
Standing on one foot and waving the other = Pick me up, NOW!
Head lowered, wings half raised, feathers fluffed, leaning forward or up = I see something I want and if you don't pick me up NOW I'm going to have a nervous breakdown.
Flapping to the ground = I wanted you to pick me up but couldn't wait any longer.
Standing on your foot = OK, I'm sorry for flapping to the ground, pick me up, PLEASE.
One foot shaking with claw beating quickly = I have an itch against the side of my head.
Beak on the ground, neck feathers fluffed up = I want a scratch.
Head down, left wing fully extended = Big stretch!
Head down, right wing fully extended = Continuation of Big stretch.
Head down, both wings partially extended upward = Big stretch, final episode.
Mouth wide open, head extending as far up as it will go = Stretch/yawn combination.
Head bobbing and then regurgitating = I LOVE YOU!
Grab side of cage with beak, bottom of cage with foot and scrape bottom with other foot = Let me out of here!!!
Standing straight, staring right at you = I'm waiting for you to look away so I can do something bad.
Beak on the ground, neck feathers fluffed up = I want you to try and give me a scratch so I can bite you!
Holding on to top of cage with both feet and beak = I am going someplace.
Hanging from top of cage with both feet = I am playing or some Eclectus do this when nervous.
Hanging from top of cage with one foot = No problem, still playing.
Hanging from top of cage by beak only = No problem, still playing but trying to make you think I'm going to fall.
Hanging from top of cage and falling to bottom = Ooops, I guess that beak thing didn't work too well.
Head lowered and turned 90 degrees = I see something on the floor that I want.
Extending top part of beak and lapping with tongue = Whatever it is that you are drinking, I WANT it!!!
Standing on forearm, biting shirt at the shoulder and clawing up arm = I want UP!
Hanging from shirt collar by beak and waving both feet in the air = I want down.
Two steps back, rear-end rubbing table = I need to go potty!
Lying on back with feet in the air = Yeah, right!!! I don't think so!
Leaning forward with wings slightly apart = I am going to bite you.
Leaning forward with wings slightly apart and feathers standing up = I am really going to bite you!
Eyes pinning = I am excited.
Feathers fluffed out with eyes pinning = I want to bite you.
Bird's crest all the way up = scared or surprised. Can also be excited.
Bird's crest is flattened against the head = Could be angry or mad. May try to bite. Could also tuck its feathers in and become thinner.
Suddenly gets really tall and thin = Surprised or startled. Can be accompanied by the crest going up.
Bobs his head = Begging for food or attention.
Puffs out its chest = Showing off or bragging. They are happy.
Lowers his head and keeps it there. = Waiting for you to pet him or give a scratch.
Bangs his beak on a object = "This is mine!"
Puts his beak on your finger before stepping on = Just checking to make sure it's safe to step onto, or getting his balance.
Grinds his beak = They often do this before sleeping. It means they are content and relaxed.
Rubs his butt on an object = Masturbating.
Stoops low down and gets a bit puffy = It is about to go poop.
Biting = The bird is young and just exploring and still needs to learn how much pressure to apply.
Biting = Bird is scared, or trying to tell you something like it doesn't feel well or you are making it do something it doesn't want to do.
Biting = Displaced aggression.
Biting = Hormonal or protecting its nest.​

darwinparrot

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jacob
Darwin will occasionally find a toy that he "loves" a little bit too much. This causes his cage territorial behavior to worsen so I normally take the toy out. It doesn't happen often and almost always happens with toy phones that make noises and flash.

Familyof12

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Liz
Sorry, our budgie is the only one who has been "hormonal" from any flock member except our budgie Sola, who used to be kind of mean, got very very friendly. She started doing an upside down weird exorcist type walking with her belly toward me and begged for a belly rub. Turns out the belly rubs were us being in love. So...we don't give belly rubs to birds anymore. Just head and neck stritches for now.

It wasn't mentioned in the behavior schedule and may be something people may want to know?

Last edited: