• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hormonal behavior changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

sassie

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Laura
We begin the topic last night at the meeting. Hearing other people talk about things really makes you open your eyes & apply things to your own flock.
I had mentioned Pogos obsession over certain items for long periods of time. Plastic, wood, wicker - and someone had asked if Id looked into his eye's as he was obsessing. I have & its like his eyes are glazed over, almost a high looks. He isnt pleased when you remove the item either.
Also, we talked about Males being primary nest builders in some specie's. I wonder with Pogo's new desire to whittle if hes not thinking along breeding lines? Once Brian is in his eye's view (hes pogo's chosen mate) Pogo will stop & drop everything to eye him & what hes doing. where hes going ect. So, is his observe wood chewing *which JUST started* a breeding behavior, is he trying to stock up on a nest pile? Or is he just really liking to opportunity to have wood like he's been given here. In the previous home we were told he liked only indestructible toys. Always turned his nose up at anything soft & sh readable. Thats not the case here, The tug O toy he got lasted a little over 24 hours & now is being taken down because its long strings of leather & plastic which I dont want him chewing on.

Do your males make or do "odd" behavior's during the time for love?

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
I have not noticed with my males but will try to start noticing

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
apparently male tiels get obssessed with nest building as well....I only have females and that is a whole other cup of "obssessions"...and our male budgie is definitely fixatedon his mirror and his happy hut...I t hink that is very interesting stuff for sure..so are you going to remove the offending objects or let him go to town?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I wonder with Pogo's new desire to whittle if hes not thinking along breeding lines? Once Brian is in his eye's view (hes pogo's chosen mate) Pogo will stop & drop everything to eye him & what hes doing. where hes going ect. So, is his observe wood chewing *which JUST started* a breeding behavior, is he trying to stock up on a nest pile? Or is he just really liking to opportunity to have wood like he's been given here.
IMO it's both. They love to chew just for the fun of it and hormones just intensifies it.

all4stvoyager

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sara
My ekkie, Mister, mounts any stainless steel bowl he comes into contact with...regurgitates constantly too.:o:

Status
Not open for further replies.