• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hormonal aggression?

BlueKiwis

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Jasmine
Lately Zack has been really snappy at me and the budgies. It is currently late autumn here in qld so could he be hormonal? Or could he be going through a phase as he is roughly 2 years and 6 months old? Either way what can i do to help him through it as i hate having to put him back in his cage when he snaps at the budgies?

Feathery

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Nichole
Can you provide more details?
What prompts the "snaps"?
Is it happening in any particular location(s)? Or in general?
What are the budgies doing when he snaps?
Are there any other signs of hormonal behaviors?
How do you respond/react?

BlueKiwis

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Jasmine
Can you provide more details?
What prompts the "snaps"?
Is it happening in any particular location(s)? Or in general?
What are the budgies doing when he snaps?
Are there any other signs of hormonal behaviors?
How do you respond/react?
I think he may be cage territorial, their cages are rather close together so he may see the other cages as his territory.
They’re always in my room so unsure.
The budgies will be on their cages.
I’ve observed him trying to mate with his toy though its too far from his perch.
I speak firmly, could this be seen as negative?

Feathery

Real Name
Nichole
Can you post a photo of his cage setup?

Do you have room to separate their cages and give them more space? Like 5' or more?

FeatheredM

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
He could be getting hormonal. Have you tried moving around the cage, including the perches and toys?

BlueKiwis

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Jasmine
This is an old photo as i can’t currently take one 37B37557-2515-410D-A11B-430C777BA687.jpeg
Like this but with a toy. I know it’s a poor setup.
P.s sorry about the flash

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
It could be either. Hormones or cage territorial. Hormones have to run their course, although increasing hours of darkness by 2 hours for a couple weeks may help. And although this isn't your question- round cages really aren't the best for birds. If you get a chance to get a different cage for the budgies a square or rectangular cage is better.

Feathery

Real Name
Nichole
The cages are too small and too close together.

There's nothing to offer enrichment in them either.

I see only one perch for yout cockateil, and it isn't ideal. They need multiple perches with varying diameters.

The food dish is too low and the water silo doesn't ensure fresh water.

If you give them some space and things to keep them busy and entertained, you may see less bickering.

What are your constraints on providing them with more suitable arrangements?

BlueKiwis

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Jasmine
The cages are too small and too close together.

There's nothing to offer enrichment in them either.

I see only one perch for yout cockateil, and it isn't ideal. They need multiple perches with varying diameters.

The food dish is too low and the water silo doesn't ensure fresh water.

If you give them some space and things to keep them busy and entertained, you may see less bickering.

What are your constraints on providing them with more suitable arrangements?
I know :sad5:. I’ve been asking my grandma to buy new cages and stuff but she never has the money

Feathery

Real Name
Nichole
I know :sad5:. I’ve been asking my grandma to buy new cages and stuff but she never has the money
That's a shame, sorry to hear.

Can you do some chores or yard work for friends/neighbors to earn extra money?

There are some things you can do for free that can provide some help. Keeping them busy and entertained may help to distract from hormonal behaviors.

Here are some ideas:

Perches can be made from natural branches - just be sure they are safe types and cleaned thoroughly.

Make toys they can tear up from cardboard or paper. Weave some cardboard in between the cage bars.

Feed them fresh veggie scraps (uncooked, no seasoning) from your grandmother's cooking. Maybe dangle them on some safe rope (jute or sisal for example).

Place safe branches or vines with leaves for them to tear up and climb around on.

One of the things I've been doing my birds seem to enjoy is pressing sunflower seeds into a strip of cardboard and weaving into their cage bars. They have to work to get them out. And this is the ONLY place they get sunflower seeds.

Offer plates/bowels of water outside their cages for them to bath and play. Maybe even put a small leafy branch in it for the budgies.

Here's a link of safe plants and woods:

Last edited:

BlueKiwis

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Jasmine
That's a shame, sorry to hear.

Can you do some chores or yard work for friends/neighbors to earn extra money?

There are some things you can do for free that can provide some help. Keeping them busy and entertained may help to distract from hormonal behaviors.

Here are some ideas:

Perches can be made from natural branches - just be sure they are safe types and cleaned thoroughly.

Make toys they can tear up from cardboard or paper. Weave some cardboard in between the cage bars.

Feed them fresh veggie scraps (uncooked, no seasoning) from your grandmother's cooking. Maybe dangle them on some safe rope (jute or sisal for example).

Place safe branches or vines with leaves for them to tear up and climb around on.

One of the things I've been doing my birds seem to enjoy is pressing sunflower seeds into a strip of cardboard and weaving into their cage bars. They have to work to get them out. And this is the ONLY place they get sunflower seeds.

Offer plates/bowels of water outside their cages for them to bath and play. Maybe even put a small leafy branch in it for the budgies.

Here's a link of safe plants and woods:

Sorry but how do i identify the trees in my backyard?

Feathery

Real Name
Nichole
Sorry but how do i identify the trees in my backyard?
You'll need to look at the leaves if the tree is deciduous (leaves drop in the fall) and if evergreen, look at the tree itself, the needles, and cones or berries.

If you can take photos of these things, r/whatsthisplant on reddit is very good at identifying plants and trees. You can also use an app on your phone (I use Picture This) but it is not always 100% certain.

Be sure to include what region you're in if posting the photos online for others to help identify.

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Have a little look at this thread might toys at zero or low cost, you might be able to make some toys for your birds to enjoy.

BlueKiwis

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Jasmine
Though an update isn’t necessary i feel like i need to. I put some thought into it and i feel really dumb for not noticing the signs and like i let my birdies down. Zack likes to hang around the budgies and sees them as his flock but they see him differently. When he’s around them they shoo him away, provoking him to get defensive so i step in and split them up. I’ve started letting them out at different times. Just wanted to get this off my chest.