• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

hormonal activity- info needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Norman's Mom

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sue
Hi Everyone,

For the 1st time since our lovebird arrived last April (s)he is showing hormonal activity. BB is a peach faced lovebird so I know they look the same and for ease I'll call BB a "he".

BB has discovered that he really really *really* loves one of his toys. Outside of the cage he acts the same as ever.

For you longer term Lovebird owners, how long might he be so pre-occupied with his toy? Any guidance for me to determine BB's gender based on how (s)he is acting during this timeframe?

Thanks a bunch!

luvconique

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Jeni
Hi- unfortunately, this isn't a good indicator of gender.

Believe me, I know. LOL

I have a male and a female. I thought my female (Jack) was a male when she was a baby- in fact I prayed she was, cuz I didn't want a female.

Anyway, she laid her first clutch of eggs not too long after her 1st birthday. She was single at the time.

She is 3 now and humps EVERYTHING. No joke. Food bowls, toys, my hand, my hair, avicakes, paper towels. The girl is a nympho!

There really is no "How long it will last?", and both genders do it. Some more than others.

"JACK! Get OFF my ponytail!!!!"

bubblelady

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Maureen
Last edited:

K&J Birds

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
J.T.
hehehe! I'm looking forward to that. My partner and I bought our first baby lovie back in sept. (her hatch-date is june 5th), so I'm anticipating lots of humping, lol. most of my birds have been "second-hand" so I never really had to deal with it much, lol. I thought Calliope was humping her bell toy once, but she was just banging it around! I was kinda shocked, but nothing I can do, lol. All in all, I think I'm just saying that in a few months, I may have more advice, but I agree, check out the lovie blogs. They tend to be very very helpful! ^.^

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Trinket humps his birdy buddy several times a day. It's normal. He also feeds his grapevine girlfriend Spike. He's a happy, loving, well adjusted little guy and I would not deprive him of this natural part of his life.

As long as he is normal with everything else, I would ignore it.

Ginger

Norman's Mom

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sue
Thanks for the input!! I was going to let BB "go with the flow" and just be a bird. He does hump one toy (it seems at this point to be an exclusive relationship) and he feeds a 2nd toy. He (or she) is just as sweet as ever when out and still plays with other toys (in the usual meaning of the word "play"). I'm glad he's not bitey or mean. I guess I would have preferred if this started after the up-coming visit with the family staying over......

Status
Not open for further replies.