• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hoping to be a first time bird owner, but I'm wondering if I will be able to with my lifestyle.

Arvellion

Checking out the neighborhood
Hello! I am hoping to become a bird owner in couple years, just starting my research and saving early! I want to know if my lifestyle in the future will allow me to care for a bird, just in case as to not get my hopes up. I've fallen in love with cockatiels and hope to get a male one, mostly due to the fact that I've heard that females are more territorial. I don't know if there are any behavioral differences, but I really like the white face ones, so I hope to get one of those if I can. I plan on getting an apartment my junior year of college, and so far I have yet to find anything saying they won't let me have a bird. I have looked at floor plans and there will be plenty of space for a bird cage in a placement that suits the bird. I will also be living with a roommate, and I doubt we will get any other pets. I was thinking about getting the bird right at the start of summer break before junior year so I may spend the summer working with the bird. I know moving habitats can be stressful, but I don't know if a college schedule will allow me to nurture a brand new bond well, but I'm hoping it will allow me to maintain a preexisting bond.
Currently, my classes are very loose. If I were to continue to have a similar schedule, I would have a couple days off, time in the middle of the day to check on the bird, and be home around mid-afternoon for the rest of the day. I could be wrong, but I'm hoping this will work for a bird, due to what I've seen with my research. I've seen that it may be possible to keep a bird happy and healthy if you change the food and water everyday, are able to change it again in case they poop in it, and are able to spend at least an hour with the bird outside the cage (though longer is better). With two people living in the same apartment, I'm positive this can be accomplished, but I also want to make sure the bird can still be happy this way. As much as I absolutely love animals, I would never want to force one to live a life where it isn't fully taken care of. I know some birds may want a lot of attention, so it is hard to tell if we could give it enough. Another option I considered was perhaps getting two birds, so that they may need our company a little less, but I am unsure if that is a good idea. Please let me know! Let me know if it is just a bad idea, or how I may be able to make it work well. I really just don't want to get my hopes up if it isn't a healthy environment for a cockatiel.

ellbell

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Ella
I go to school everyday, and come back and just open the door for my bird, I think that as long as you think you have the time and room for a bird you should get one, just make sure you do all of your research, also would your roommate be fine with it? And will your apartment let you keep one? And with the moving aspect of things, I haven’t moved with my bird but I have heard that you should move all of your stuff, then take your bird past but I’m not entirely sure! I think from what I have heard in your post seems like a pretty good enviroment for a cockatiel!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
If you still have school and do not live in a family environment (or close to supportive family members) then I would personally discourage you till you are out of school and working.
The amount of school students who come on here looking for advice or help because they are seriously worried for various reasons (usually time, money, safety or housing problems) or in a bad situation with their bird due to their school commitments or flat mates behavior etc makes for a good warning to most students that they are best to wait till they have a more stable lifestyle, support and money.

It can be done but many seem to end up with their bird being either the cause of severe stress for them or with their bird seriously suffering and missing out on the everyday normal things it should have in a safe environment, some of the things I can think of from past students asking for advice here are... stresses over how to afford the high vet fees and also how to get it there when needed, problems with flatmates using deadly chemicals or other dangerous behaviors, other pets, lack of free time, support for when holidays mean travel that the bird is not welcome to join in on, finances is a biggie- these are the main things we see here that seem to cause issues but there are others like noise complaints or dust/ mess complaints.

Ultimately the choice is yours but I ask you to look at the picture of this future birds life from its point of view rather than looking at it from yours and whether you think you can juggle everything.

Birds sense stress and do get lonely which can lead to behavior and health problems if they're not provided with enough attention and environmental enrichment.

Will it have enough frequent company- more than one hour is needed for out of cage time unless you have a huge aviary for the bird to explore and fly in, will it have enough enriching toys- not the same ones all the time but a varied regular supply, will it be able to go to the vet when needed regardless of your school commitments or finances, can it always be in a safe home environment even with a room mate who you can not stop from using perfumes, incense, candles, teflon and other harmful or deadly chemicals etc, will you be able to take care of the birds every need when it is needed rather than when it may fit into your schedule or budget? These things really need all the answers to be yes.

Bringing a bird into your home is very different than many other pets and really should only be done if you can provide absolutely everything that it needs to flourish not just survive and only if you can give it a full enriching life- sitting in an empty cage waiting for someone to come home all day who then is too busy or needs to go off to a job or social engagements or whatever else may take your time away is really not fair on the bird- I do not think you should look at anything till you can work out not how you can fit the bird into your lifestyle but how you can manage everything else around the birds needs. You owe it to the bird to do right as being stuck in a cage means it totally relies on you to make its life worth having.

Take into account also that Cockatiels are dusty birds and many unfortunately end up rehomed due to flatmates, family members or partners allergies that flare up once they're breathing in dust regularly.

I hope this helps some :)

milliebird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Evie
Take into account also that Cockatiels are dusty birds and many unfortunately end up rehomed due to flatmates, family members or partners allergies that flare up once they're breathing in dust regularly.
i agree, there are so many cases of cockatiels ending up rehomed due to people with flatmates with allergies and refusing to stop using scents and teflon pans etc. pippa was still very young when she came to me, and was only with her original owners less than a week before coming to live with me. her owner lived with a flat mate who had scented candles and incents everywhere, they were able to get rid of the teflon pans though.
having a bird is not for everyone. they are more difficault then cats and dogs and require lots of attention daily.
please consider everything that could go wrong before making the desision and fully discuss those things with your roommate as well

If you still have school and do not live in a family environment (or close to supportive family members) then I would personally discourage you till you are out of school and working.
The amount of school students who come on here looking for advice or help because they are seriously worried for various reasons (usually time, money, safety or housing problems) or in a bad situation with their bird due to their school commitments or flat mates behavior etc makes for a good warning to most students that they are best to wait till they have a more stable lifestyle, support and money.
i would discourage it as well think of the birds wellbeing first

Arvellion

Checking out the neighborhood

It can be done but many seem to end up with their bird being either the cause of severe stress for them or with their bird seriously suffering and missing out on the everyday normal things it should have in a safe environment, some of the things I can think of from past students asking for advice here are... stresses over how to afford the high vet fees and also how to get it there when needed, problems with flatmates using deadly chemicals or other dangerous behaviors, other pets, lack of free time, support for when holidays mean travel that the bird is not welcome to join in on, finances is a biggie- these are the main things we see here that seem to cause issues but there are others like noise complaints or dust/ mess complaints.

Ultimately the choice is yours but I ask you to look at the picture of this future birds life from its point of view rather than looking at it from yours and whether you think you can juggle everything.

Birds sense stress and do get lonely which can lead to behavior and health problems if they're not provided with enough attention and environmental enrichment.

Will it have enough frequent company- more than one hour is needed for out of cage time unless you have a huge aviary for the bird to explore and fly in, will it have enough enriching toys- not the same ones all the time but a varied regular supply, will it be able to go to the vet when needed regardless of your school commitments or finances, can it always be in a safe home environment even with a room mate who you can not stop from using perfumes, incense, candles, teflon and other harmful or deadly chemicals etc, will you be able to take care of the birds every need when it is needed rather than when it may fit into your schedule or budget? These things really need all the answers to be yes.

Bringing a bird into your home is very different than many other pets and really should only be done if you can provide absolutely everything that it needs to flourish not just survive and only if you can give it a full enriching life- sitting in an empty cage waiting for someone to come home all day who then is too busy or needs to go off to a job or social engagements or whatever else may take your time away is really not fair on the bird- I do not think you should look at anything till you can work out not how you can fit the bird into your lifestyle but how you can manage everything else around the birds needs. You owe it to the bird to do right as being stuck in a cage means it totally relies on you to make its life worth having.

I hope this helps some :)
Thank you very much for your advice! Although it is a let down, I appreciate you telling me that it isn't the best idea right now. Fortunately, I already know my roommate whom I hope to stay with throughout college and I have yet to hear of any allergies, but that alone is not enough. The two of us would love to care for a bird and would do the best we can, but given our schedules and financial uncertainty, it's for the best that we don't get one while in college. I care more about the bird's happiness over mine, and since the bird cannot choose an owner, it's not fair to put it in a situation where it's every need is not guaranteed to be met. Again, thank you for the advice, and here's to hoping that one day I may be able to care for these lovely creatures.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Thank you very much for your advice! Although it is a let down, I appreciate you telling me that it isn't the best idea right now. Fortunately, I already know my roommate whom I hope to stay with throughout college and I have yet to hear of any allergies, but that alone is not enough. The two of us would love to care for a bird and would do the best we can, but given our schedules and financial uncertainty, it's for the best that we don't get one while in college. I care more about the bird's happiness over mine, and since the bird cannot choose an owner, it's not fair to put it in a situation where it's every need is not guaranteed to be met. Again, thank you for the advice, and here's to hoping that one day I may be able to care for these lovely creatures.
This tells me that when you finally decide the time is right to bring a bird into your life that it will be one very lucky little bird! You have a perfect attitude to be a brilliant bird owner.
I am sorry what I said is not what you wanted to hear but if it saves you or a bird being in a less than desirable situation then it’s all worth it!
Please stay and keep learning- you don’t have to have a bird to be a member here and the more you learn now the easier it will be for you when the time comes to bring your lucky bird home :heart:

Princessbella

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
Hello! I am hoping to become a bird owner in couple years, just starting my research and saving early! I want to know if my lifestyle in the future will allow me to care for a bird, just in case as to not get my hopes up. I've fallen in love with cockatiels and hope to get a male one, mostly due to the fact that I've heard that females are more territorial. I don't know if there are any behavioral differences, but I really like the white face ones, so I hope to get one of those if I can. I plan on getting an apartment my junior year of college, and so far I have yet to find anything saying they won't let me have a bird. I have looked at floor plans and there will be plenty of space for a bird cage in a placement that suits the bird. I will also be living with a roommate, and I doubt we will get any other pets. I was thinking about getting the bird right at the start of summer break before junior year so I may spend the summer working with the bird. I know moving habitats can be stressful, but I don't know if a college schedule will allow me to nurture a brand new bond well, but I'm hoping it will allow me to maintain a preexisting bond.
Currently, my classes are very loose. If I were to continue to have a similar schedule, I would have a couple days off, time in the middle of the day to check on the bird, and be home around mid-afternoon for the rest of the day. I could be wrong, but I'm hoping this will work for a bird, due to what I've seen with my research. I've seen that it may be possible to keep a bird happy and healthy if you change the food and water everyday, are able to change it again in case they poop in it, and are able to spend at least an hour with the bird outside the cage (though longer is better). With two people living in the same apartment, I'm positive this can be accomplished, but I also want to make sure the bird can still be happy this way. As much as I absolutely love animals, I would never want to force one to live a life where it isn't fully taken care of. I know some birds may want a lot of attention, so it is hard to tell if we could give it enough. Another option I considered was perhaps getting two birds, so that they may need our company a little less, but I am unsure if that is a good idea. Please let me know! Let me know if it is just a bad idea, or how I may be able to make it work well. I really just don't want to get my hopes up if it isn't a healthy environment for a cockatiel.
I commend you for asking before you buy but unfortunately, there are too many variables for a bird right now. It would be different if you didn't have a roommate. Tiels make a lot of dust which is bad for those with allergies or asthma, also your roommate may not even like or be afraid of birds. Cockatiels can be loud and interrupt yours and your roommate's studying and there have been stories of roommates letting other people in the room where the bird is and letting it out where it got hurt. And if you get a job out of state, after you graduate it may be harder to move with a bird. It would be better to wait until you are more settled.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I don't think female tiels are more territorial. Female tiels are known to be very sweet. Males tend to be chattier and can whistle, etc. If you like the "white faced" ones then you need to get a boy. If it's truly the white face you like or if you mean the mutation in general. "White faced" females actually have grey faces.

As others said, I would wait though until you're done with school. You don't really know yet what your future holds. You may want to travel, have to move for a job, etc when you graduate. But I think you will make a great future bird owner. :) In the meantime, are there any rescues near you that you can volunteer at?

Reactions: Ali

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
In the meantime, are there any rescues near you that you can volunteer at?
This is a great idea :)

Also, Welcome to the Avenue! :starshower1:
I do hope you stick around, there´s plenty to read here.
You can ask questions, read others stories and get a good feel for what having birds entails :)

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Bear in mind that sometimes, roommates fall out over the most trivial of things. You may be great friends but find each other impossible to live with. Your roommate might not be interested in caring for a pet that isn't theirs. You might be upset if the bird prefers them to you.

I agree with everyone else. Now is not the right time to get a bird. A college schedule and student finances are both unpredictable, and may mean that you won't have the time or the money to care for your bird properly. I wouldn't want you to suffer the heartbreak of losing your bird because you couldn't afford veterinary care. As a new graduate, you may want to move region or country for work, take a job with variable hours or shift work, or need further training. I really do think it's best to wait until your life is more stable and you have a better idea of what your long-term job, living situation and finances look like.

You sound like a thoughtful, caring person. I'm sure you will make a bird very happy in the future.