• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Honeywell Air Purifier 50250 shakes?

MnGuy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I purchased a Honeywell Air Purifier 50250-S after watching the Parrot Wizard's YouTube video about it and reading countless reviews raving about it.

I notice that the filter shakes when it's on the lowest setting, which is what I want use when when I'm home since this filter is quite loud. I do love how much air it's moving and I can feel that it's doing way more air purification than my other two Honeywell air purifiers or any others I've had in the past. But, is this shaking normal? Does anyone else here have one and if so, what is your experience?

I asked this question on Amazon and I got mixed reaction with most people saying it shouldn't shake at all and one person saying it'll shake a little on low. There is no shaking on the medium and high settings, which are too loud for everyday use for me.

The air purifier is shaped like a cylinder and takes in air 360-degrees, so I know it has a circular fan and there is a risk of agitation. I'm wondering how much is normal? I took the cover off, re-placed the filter and screwed the cover on tighter as one person recommended and that did reduce the shaking noticeably, but about an hour later I'm seeing the shaking creep back up to its previous levels.

Honestly, it's a little stressful to my eye to have an appliance out in the open in my living room that shakes. (You're supposed to place it 3 feet away from walls.)

Here is the Amazon link to it: https://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-50250-S-True-HEPA-Purifier/dp/B00007E7RY/ref=sr_1_4?crid=2AB2NX2EWWB2F&dchild=1&keywords=honeywell+air+purifier+50250&qid=1611779486&sprefix=honeywell+air+purifier+50,aps,230&sr=8-4

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I’d contact the company.
It sounds to me like it either has a faulty bearing or has been assembled without properly fitting and balancing the fan- I’m not an expert by any means but I’m thinking about the need to properly balance things like fans that are laying down so they run smoothly, it’s kinda like when tyres are fitted and the weight all needs to be distributed evenly so the ride is smooth and there’s no wobbling or when something big is put in a top loading washing machine- if the weight is off balance then everything is rough and noisy and flogs out much faster.

MnGuy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I’d contact the company.
It sounds to me like it either has a faulty bearing or has been assembled without properly fitting and balancing the fan- I’m not an expert by any means but I’m thinking about the need to properly balance things like fans that are laying down so they run smoothly, it’s kinda like when tyres are fitted and the weight all needs to be distributed evenly so the ride is smooth and there’s no wobbling or when something big is put in a top loading washing machine- if the weight is off balance then everything is rough and noisy and flogs out much faster.
I let it run all day and after several hours it stopped shaking and ran normally. I’m going to see how it does tomorrow. I’m wondering if it needed to “settle” since you do have to tip it on the side to unscrew the cover, remove the cover and place in the filter.

flyzipper

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
I hope it gets better, but agree with @Shezbug that it sounds out of balance and should be returned or repaired if the problems continue.

One thing to check is whether yours is placed on a perfectly flat/level/solid surface to reduce the risk of subtle vibrations being amplified.

KimKim

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I have an older Honeywell that looks just like that and mine does not shake at any speed.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I had one like that many years ago before I got my Austin. Can;t remember much about its sound.

I agree with Shezbug!
Sounds like something sightly off balance that the additional speed overcomes.
You might try opening it & resetting the filter to make sure its centered.

Also check the floor underneath that its level which I suppose should not make much of a difference. Can you check if all 4 rubber legs are secure on the bottom? If you move it to say on a rug do you still get the vibration?

If you put your hand on the casing does it stop vibrating? Then it could be the case not tight but that would probably be on all speeds too.

Definitely contact the manufacturer. See what they suggest. Can you return or switch it?

It should not vibrate & its not a case cover or loose part as that probably would vibrate more with higher speed. I'd say something in the fan or shaft. A bent blade or something else effecting the balance. The motor has to hold the shaft that attaches to the fan blades.

Something is not right.

MnGuy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Thanks everyone. I’m going to call the manufacturer tomorrow. After not shaking last night I turned it on today and after awhile it began to vibrate.

I did reset all the parts yesterday as well.