• ALL Threads/Post in Rehome Highway will be reviewed for compliance to forum guidelines before being approved.
  • Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Honeymoon concerns.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hi Vicki,

I think these things are very individualized from bird to bird. But, as I recall, there was a period of a few weeks when Elvis first got here when she was off-kilter, sad, but pretty manageable. Then there was a period right after that, another few weeks, when she was stubborn and aggressive. Then, she settled in and is now sweet and adorable. I think it goes in phases. I don't necessarily think the "honeymoon" is so great, at least it wasn't for me. It was just a time when the bird was shell-shocked and hadn't yet gotten comfortable enough to give me static. Then, once she tested her boundaries, and built a relationship with me, the good stuff began. So, IMO, you don't always see the real bird until it's gone through whatever initial phases of shock, testing, and then relationship-building that particular bird needs to go through, but those phases will be unique to your particular bird. In other words, your bird may be an even bigger sweetheart than he at first appears. :)

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
Hi Vicki,

I think these things are very individualized from bird to bird. But, as I recall, there was a period of a few weeks when Elvis first got here when she was off-kilter, sad, but pretty manageable. Then there was a period right after that, another few weeks, when she was stubborn and aggressive. Then, she settled in and is now sweet and adorable. I think it goes in phases. I don't necessarily think the "honeymoon" is so great, at least it wasn't for me. It was just a time when the bird was shell-shocked and hadn't yet gotten comfortable enough to give me static. Then, once she tested her boundaries, and built a relationship with me, the good stuff began. So, IMO, you don't always see the real bird until it's gone through whatever initial phases of shock, testing, and then relationship-building that particular bird needs to go through, but those phases will be unique to your particular bird. In other words, your bird may be an even bigger sweetheart than he at first appears. :)
I really love the way you put that. You're right I think. That makes sense for sure. I mean, initially when they first come here they don't even know us so of course you don't know the individual you will know after living with them and spending a lot of time with them. Makes sense. Makes me feel better too.

Cassidy

Strolling the yard
My birds have always gotten better as time went on...the only exception to that was my yellow collared macaw. Developed a serious attitude and got VERY VERY loud.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
It has a lot do do with his past. If he was a "handful" in the past, chances are some of that behavior will surface at sometime once the honeymoon is over.

A factor here IMO is that he is not a young bird and not even a young adult bird. He is a very mature bird and will be pretty set in his ways.

Another factor is if you are his "chosen" one or not. If you are his behavior will not be as bad to you as it will be to others in the household.

Tika chose my wife almost instantly and so I had to work very hard to become his friend. He never behaved badly with here ever and she was not his caregiver. Can't say the same for me and I was the caregiver of all things good and fun. :)

One thing is for sure. One week is only a spec in time for that bird and you are definitely not seeing the real bird yet.

Small birds like tiels and budgies do not have the same kind of honeymoon. Because of his intelligence he is much more cautious and on good behavior in the beginning because he "is" smart enough to know he is in a strange place and not secure "yet". When he knows he's safe and secure he is going to become confident and thus try to manipulate his environment to what he wants.

Hope for the best but prepare for the worst.

You have plenty of the right stuff Vicki. :)

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
It has a lot do do with his past. If he was a "handful" in the past, chances are some of that behavior will surface at sometime once the honeymoon is over.

A factor here IMO is that he is not a young bird and not even a young adult bird. He is a very mature bird and will be pretty set in his ways.

Another factor is if you are his "chosen" one or not. If you are his behavior will not be as bad to you as it will be to others in the household.

Tika chose my wife almost instantly and so I had to work very hard to become his friend. He never behaved badly with here ever and she was not his caregiver. Can't say the same for me and I was the caregiver of all things good and fun. :)

One thing is for sure. One week is only a spec in time for that bird and you are definitely not seeing the real bird yet.

Small birds like tiels and budgies do not have the same kind of honeymoon. Because of his intelligence he is much more cautious and on good behavior in the beginning because he "is" smart enough to know he is in a strange place and not secure "yet". When he knows he's safe and secure he is going to become confident and thus try to manipulate his environment to what he wants.

Hope for the best but prepare for the worst.

You have plenty of the right stuff Vicki. :)
Yeah, that all makes sense. My plan is just to take it day by day. Thanks everyone for your responses. I am falling for him, but wanting to be rational:)

LuvMyBirds

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Barbara
Vicki, This will be long. I adopted 2 YNA males ~ Macho 18yrs and Midori 17yrs in early September. They were raised together now reside separately as Macho was quite the bully. They join my :heart: Sunni. I had huge reservations about this. I have been lucky enough in the past to share my home with two Tiels, one U2, one B&G, one precious handicapped WFA, one CAG all at the same time with my :heart: YNA. I cared for all the above wonderful companions for about 4 or 5 years and then became horribly allergic. I had to place all but couldn't part with Sunni. I share this so you will know that I've had a little experience with some of the other breeds. I really think that the zons are a little more resilient than some of the others. At this point I know that Macho is a masher and I will only attempt to allow him to step up on a perch with a "covered handle" because if he can bite me he will. However every day when I clean his house, change the bowls, or toys he just ignores me for that period. Now I'm not going to assume that he would not go after me and I have my eyes averted to him while my hand is in his house. I don't actually know if I have shared their complete story here. While not abused physically per se, they lived in a vacant house (it had water and electricity) in a flight about 5 feet wide 5 feet deep and 8 feet high, with the light on and the T.V. pulled up next to the flight and on 24/7. They were given fresh water and seed every other day. For Five Long Years. How could I not attempt to take these guys allergies or not?
5 years alone and the 10 before that they were not handled. If I can never hold or scritch Macho I can live with that. I hold out hope that I will be able to handle Midori, he will step onto my arm and sit quietly for a few minutes but still doesn't want me to touch him.

I learned quickly to announce myself before walking into the bird room. They were not used to seeing someone and would get so startled it scared me they flapped about so. It was actually a friend that I adopted this guys from and she asked me not long ago if their screaming at night bothered my husband. I had to tell her that they really didn't do any screaming.

I share all this to get to here. I know these are wild animals and don't have our thought process. However I can't help but think that they appreciate the conditions that they now live in.

When I started working with them I did not want to begin with a routine that I would not continue. Some days I might not spend but 30 minutes with them, others - hours. I think with your guy if the routine that you started is the one that he will have if he continues to live with you, you are seeing what you have. If you next month decide not to let him out at your desk and he doesn't have the level of your attention he has now, he very well could become a screamazon.
He sounds precious and I hope he's found his forever home. :hug8:

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
Vicki, This will be long. I adopted 2 YNA males ~ Macho 18yrs and Midori 17yrs in early September. They were raised together now reside separately as Macho was quite the bully. They join my :heart: Sunni. I had huge reservations about this. I have been lucky enough in the past to share my home with two Tiels, one U2, one B&G, one precious handicapped WFA, one CAG all at the same time with my :heart: YNA. I cared for all the above wonderful companions for about 4 or 5 years and then became horribly allergic. I had to place all but couldn't part with Sunni. I share this so you will know that I've had a little experience with some of the other breeds. I really think that the zons are a little more resilient than some of the others. At this point I know that Macho is a masher and I will only attempt to allow him to step up on a perch with a "covered handle" because if he can bite me he will. However every day when I clean his house, change the bowls, or toys he just ignores me for that period. Now I'm not going to assume that he would not go after me and I have my eyes averted to him while my hand is in his house. I don't actually know if I have shared their complete story here. While not abused physically per se, they lived in a vacant house (it had water and electricity) in a flight about 5 feet wide 5 feet deep and 8 feet high, with the light on and the T.V. pulled up next to the flight and on 24/7. They were given fresh water and seed every other day. For Five Long Years. How could I not attempt to take these guys allergies or not?
5 years alone and the 10 before that they were not handled. If I can never hold or scritch Macho I can live with that. I hold out hope that I will be able to handle Midori, he will step onto my arm and sit quietly for a few minutes but still doesn't want me to touch him.

I learned quickly to announce myself before walking into the bird room. They were not used to seeing someone and would get so startled it scared me they flapped about so. It was actually a friend that I adopted this guys from and she asked me not long ago if their screaming at night bothered my husband. I had to tell her that they really didn't do any screaming.

I share all this to get to here. I know these are wild animals and don't have our thought process. However I can't help but think that they appreciate the conditions that they now live in.

When I started working with them I did not want to begin with a routine that I would not continue. Some days I might not spend but 30 minutes with them, others - hours. I think with your guy if the routine that you started is the one that he will have if he continues to live with you, you are seeing what you have. If you next month decide not to let him out at your desk and he doesn't have the level of your attention he has now, he very well could become a screamazon.
He sounds precious and I hope he's found his forever home. :hug8:
Thank you for taking the time to write all of that. It all makes sense. There are some things that I didn't mention and probably should. I am a training and behavior geek, I know most of you guys already know that:) IF an issue popped up I would work on it and I would be sad if he had an issue but I would enjoy problem solving it and figuring out a way to improve things. I think that the only thing that would be an issue would be if he screamed because then it would affect my husband too and that is the only thing he asks for, that I not have very loud birds.

Oh your poor guys. It was good of you to take them and both of them! It must be so much better and more comfortable for them.

You make a really great point though about being careful to make sure that I am doing things how they will be done in the long run. I am thinking that maybe I should have more days when I leave him in the cage more. I usually have him out on his stand when I am home and I am in and out of here all the time. When I am gone, he is in his cage. But, maybe I should have some days where I have him in the cage more to prepare him that there could be days like that....what do you think? I don't know too much about Merlins prior homes. From what I understand he was with his previous owner for 18 years and kept in a cage because she was fearful of him. I am pretty sure she didn't give him anything to do. Then, he was at the rescuers home for 2 or 3 months. She told me he improved with her as far as his stepping up and being able to get around better on the stiff foot. She told me he is only loud when he is hungry and you are getting his food ready. I was told he didn't like toys, but he is starting to chew on the wood toys I have been offering him and going through his forage box. To be honest, I don't hold him that much. He will step up but I can tell that it is not easy for him to balance on a hand. I typically take him out and put him on his stand and mostly just move him around because like I said, he just doesn't seem that comfortable just sitting on my hand.

When you started working with your guys, did you have them out more on some days and less on others? Is that how you prepared them to be flexible in their out of cage time? I think that this is an important thing for me to do for Merlin.

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
Where some owners go wrong is giving a lot of time to their new bird when it arrives and then it tails off to less as they get used to one another.
Then when the bird asks for more attention and confused because he does not have it they wonder why he has become so vocal!
Chaz our eight yr old Macaw is very vocal and loud first thing in the morning and just at around tea time. This only lasts for minutes but can blast your ear drums somewhat! I encourage him as it is his natural state and he is telling me all is right with his world.
In the past he was shouted at and told to be quiet, but in my humble opinion he is only doing what comes naturally and if in his genes, who are we to say it is wrong? Sounds as if you are the right person to care for this bird, do so hope he stays with you. Good luck.:hug8:

LuvMyBirds

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Barbara
What I do for Macho is open his house door and roll the play gym over. If he wants to come out he can. The first few times, he didn't come out. I do not try this every day. I didn't want any of them to become accustomed to a certain routine. Sometimes I just sit in room with them and read. Most times Macho doesn't venture out onto play Gym here he is ~~
IMG_6561.jpg

Midori on the other hand does like to come out, his house has playstand on top. But again doesn't get to come out everyday. If I go out of town to visit brother and husband home... well, he is not going to let them out. Feed yes and even will give veggies and share dinner. But not going to let them out. Same with when we go out of town, niece pet sits, she not and I wouldn't want her to let them out. So some might disagree but here, they get interaction everyday, just don't get out everyday.

Big Blues

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I believe that the "Honeymoon" time is basically their transition time where they are working on getting to know you and their new surroundings. Feeling safe in their new home is important to them and they are watching and interpreting all that you do and say so they are smart and usually stay quiet. They do change and most of ours took about a month, but varies with each bird. I feel that they become who they are after the honeymoon period; that isn't necessarily a bad thing and I like it when they are become relaxed and fit in. :)

Last edited:

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
What I do for Macho is open his house door and roll the play gym over. If he wants to come out he can. The first few times, he didn't come out. I do not try this every day. I didn't want any of them to become accustomed to a certain routine. Sometimes I just sit in room with them and read. Most times Macho doesn't venture out onto play Gym here he is ~~
View attachment 6352

Midori on the other hand does like to come out, his house has playstand on top. But again doesn't get to come out everyday. If I go out of town to visit brother and husband home... well, he is not going to let them out. Feed yes and even will give veggies and share dinner. But not going to let them out. Same with when we go out of town, niece pet sits, she not and I wouldn't want her to let them out. So some might disagree but here, they get interaction everyday, just don't get out everyday.
Same with me, if I go out of town to dog shows or whatever, Rick is not going to hold birds, but he will feed them. So, it is important that Merlin be exposed to being left in his cage some days.

Today, I fed him his breakfast in his cage. That was hard for me but I want to make sure he gets used to how things will be here in case he ends up staying here.

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
I believe that the "Honeymoon" time is basically their transition time where they are working on getting to know you and their new surroundings. Feeling safe in their new home is important to them and they are watching and interpreting all that you do and say so they are smart and usually stay quiet. They do change and most of ours took about a month, but varies with each bird. I feel that they become who they are after the honeymoon period; that isn't necessarily a bad thing and I like it when they are become relaxed and fit in. :)
I think you are right and it makes sense that it takes time for them to settle in and become comfortable and relaxed.

Status
Not open for further replies.