• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Homemade Seed Mixes

BeeBop

Sprinting down the street
Hello! I have a few questions about homemade seed mix. Should millet be the first ingredient? Is hemp seed a good addition? Also, if anyone has a recipe for homemade seed mix that would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. :)

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I don't know much about parakeets, but if you are making a seed mix for one parakeet, it hardly seems worthwhile. You would have to make such a large amount that it will probably go stale.

Hopefully someone with parakeet experience will come along.

BeeBop

@Hankmacaw Ok, thank you for your response. Yes, I am making the mix for one parakeet. I'm doing this because I have a wheat allergy and pretty much all commercial seed mixes have wheat in them.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Check out TOPS parrot food. I know their pellets don't contain wheat.

Ingredient Highlights | TOP's Parrot Food

They have the highest quality seed mixes. If you look at the list of ingredients in a seed mix you will see that you need many kinds of individual seeds. All that must be bought in quantities. After mixing you will have many many pounds of seed. One little bird couldn't possibly use it up before it got very old.

How bad of an allergy is it?

Last edited:

BeeBop

@JLcribber I have very bad allergies to wheat. If I get any dust on me and I don't wash it off it gives me rashes. That is very helpful to know and I will look into that!

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
you could check the ingredient list for wheat if it has it don't buy it. or go to pellet mix.