• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Homemade nutriberries?

CrazyKozmo

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rebecca
Does anyone have a recipe for homemade nutriberries?

Tina&Mill

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Tianna Schwindel
You can get birdseed (I just use the wild birdseed mix, you can make bigger batches for cheaper, and its the same stuff.) and mix 1 packet of unflavored gelatin (Prepare the gelatin first) to 2 cups of birdseed, and let it chill until its clumpy. Then you can shape it into molds, or little balls, and put it in the fridge or freezer to finish solidifying. Finished product needs to be stored in the fridge though, but its good in the freezer for much longer. NOTE: This recipe is best if you plan to use it quickly. do NOT make it in large batches, unless you have a flock of birds!

Thats what I use for wild bird feeders, and occasionally Ill give millie a block.
But here are a few recipies I found on Pinterest too!

Recipe 1 See it on pintrest
Recipe 2 See it on pinterest

Hope this helps ya! Ive tried out the second recipe, and it works amazing! Im going to try it with something other than dates though, Like apricots or plums and see if that works too!

Tina&Mill

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Tianna Schwindel
I have a few more recipies, Let me dig around my pinterest and see where i put them. Ill compile them here for you ^^

I honestly prefer making bird treats to buying them, store bought treats are so expensive!!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
There are several here on the forum :) Now remember that Nutriberries by Lafeber are designed to be a complete diet whereas these would be considered treats.

Tina&Mill

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Tianna Schwindel
Thank you for the info @Tina&Mill and @Mizzely !! I knew there'd be recipes somewhere, all I had to do is ask. This certainly gives me a place to start!
No problem!

I just made the recipe that uses the honey and flour, I would reccomend adding either a bit less honey, or a bit more flour before tweaking, Maybe 1/3 or 1/2 cup of flour instead of 1/4
Also, dont wash your hands often, it just wastes the mixture and gets your sink full of seeds and other stuff.

I bet you could make these a more balanced diet if you got a bag of the small pellets, and threw in a few dehydrated fruits, like banana and mango.