• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Homemade Nutriberries/Bird Pops

Status
Not open for further replies.

fid fanatic

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Cheri
Last night I made some little birdie balls and bird pops for my fids, and they look like Nutriberries. I'll post a picture once I get the photos downloaded into my computer.

Ingredients:
Molasses
Raisins
Chopped Walnuts
Black Asian rice
Wheatberries
Coconut Oil
Wax Paper
Sticks (optional)

Toast Black Asian rice and wheatberries until they pop like popcorn. They will not puff up like popcorn, just pop and crack and grow a tiny bit in size. Make sure you constantly move the pan around so it doesn't burn. I also popped each separately because of different popping times.
Allow to cool and add your choice of raisins, chopped nuts, cranberries, etc. (I used raisins and chopped walnuts because that's what I had on hand.)
Heat molasses on medium heat until it bubbles and then turn down the heat so it doesn't burn.
Place all the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl.
Take a bit of coconut oil and spread it all over your hands and a rubber spatula or mixing spoon. Make sure you coat them well.
Pour hot molasses over dry ingredients and mix well with the coated utensil (it's HOT, so don't use your hands yet), and FAST, as the molasses begins to harden quickly.
Then roll into little balls and place on wax paper. Insert sticks if you choose and press firmly onto the stick.

I made some of both and would recommend it to see if your fids would rather hold a stick or ball. I made a small batch to see if they'd like them. So far so good. :dance4: Also, I'm not sure how long they'll store, so small batches is the way to go. It's so fast and easy to make, so it's not inconvenient.

Enjoy!

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
they look terrific!! thanks for posting pics :thumbsup:

Jadie

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jade
Wow these are great! Could you possibly tell me the quantity of everything used? Sorry i'm a bad cook and need everything laid out for me lol.

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Ooo they look good. Excellent job! :highfive:

fid fanatic

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Cheri
Wow these are great! Could you possibly tell me the quantity of everything used? Sorry i'm a bad cook and need everything laid out for me lol.
I don't measure when I cook, unless I'm baking, so I won't be able to tell you how much of each I used. I just eyeball everything. I'm sorry I can't be of more help.

Status
Not open for further replies.