• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Homemade Bird mash?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Do you guys make your own? How often do you serve it and what types of foods :dance4:do you put in it?

Ede-bird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Maureen
I make my own - they get some everynight - it has the same brown rice, wild rice, quinoa, bean/lentil mix, sweet potato base. Then I add what ever veggies are in season to the cooked mix and freeze it in ice cube trays, then pop them into freezer bags. I thaw and warm ( spoiled babies) however many I need each night and then add fresh veggies/fruits that we are eating that night to it. They seem to like it - if there are bits that they don't like they toss it onto the floor for the dogs :rofl:

jim

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jim
I make my own too. It is a combo of sorts of Mike's manna mash (where it started) Shawna's mash and what happens to be available at the store when I shop. lol It is what I feed them in the morning. It is veggies, beans and grains.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sounds yummy and healthy guys!;)

love4birds

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Megan
My guys get homemade mash every morning:) I make a huge batch every month or two and freeze it. It's about 50% grains/legumes, 50% veggies/very little fruit.

Some of the things I use include: quinoa, brown rice, barley, buckwheat, cous-cous, oat groats, millet, lentils, split peas, bean mix, broccoli, cauliflower, peppers, cooked sweet potato, cooked white potato, celery, mustard greens, kale, beet greens, beets, apples, oranges, carrots, grapes, tomatoes, etc, etc. The grains/legumes are all cooked and mixed with some RPO. Veg/fruit go through the food processor so they're chopped tiny. Mix with the grains, add "extra" stuff (raisins, coconut, ground flax seeds, etc), portion out and freeze.

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Victoria :)
I also make my own, it is made of brown rice, cooked whole oats, barley, sweet potatoes, a 15 bean soup mix (without the spices), I make basically the same thing that Megan makes, except I don't have a food processer yet (it is on my Christmas list, hehe).

Sharpie

Avenue Veteran
I make my own with a little bit of everything. Once every few months I buy every green thing (save avocado, of course) the store has, run it through the shredder and freeze it in bags. Then I thaw some of the green mix and blend together with whatever pastas, grains, and mushy foods I've got on hand for that week's wet food.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Can someone please define "mash"? Do you add a lot of mashed produce and spices and whatever and serve mash?I dont mash my bird's food, the only thing they may get mashed time to time is potatoes. I usually just chop up their potatoe and sweet potaoe and squash and pumpkin and boil it and serve it in small chunks not mash. An I give a huge variety of fresh veggies and wild rice and brown rice and quinoa both cooked and dry and oats and groats cooked and dry, buckwheat and some fresh produce,etc. In birdie bread I use all above with spices and crushed nut powder and crushed flax seed,etc. Any PICS of your mashes, everyone?
I sometimes jsut feed crushed flax seed 1-2teaspoons, warm/hot, to my fids (fed like baby formula, consistency and all of like a weaning baby parrot's formula consistency).

Last edited:

Sharpie

Avenue Veteran
I use 'mash' to mean everything mixed up together in a gloppy mess. There might be mashed yams or carrots or polenta or cous cous or there might not be anything actually 'mashed' at all in it, but it's still a gloppy mess of shredded veggies and grains.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Oh so its shredded veggies/quinoa/fruits/etc? I cut my veggies for my birds, and I cut into teeny tiny pieces for the smaller birds (tiels, quakers, lovie).
Im going to have to try a mash one of these days.. I make birdiebread, an dbefore I even give it to my birds, its a MASH of a mess of veggies and all sorts of things in there.. I wonder if my birds would like it like that too.. lol

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I also "mash" all the sweet potatoes and squash and mix it into my rice and grain mixture. The beans and legumes.. I puree in my food processor along with the vegetables. In the end everything is mixed around together.

I do this so they do not "pick and choose" what they wish to eat or not eat.

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
My birds don't really like "gloppy" foods...I stay away from cooking veggies as much as possible (expect for sweet potatoes or winter squashes and only cook just until a little soft,,Tomatoes is an exception, they are better cooked than raw!)....cooking kills the enzimes/and depleats the vitamins...I do cook some of the grains like Quinoa, brown rice, barley...Split peas/Lentils are also cooked and put into their breads...My birds don't eat beans so I also cook/puree and put into the birdy breads and they get them this way!...The more LIVE/FRESH foods you give your birds, the better it is for them...Flash frozen veggies just thawn in warm water (not cooked) is better than heating them up...Sprouts of the grains is great also...and I do a lot of sprouting during the winter times:hug8:

Chicklette

Real Name
Courtney
I stay away from cooking veggies as much as possible
Same here. They seem to like it better uncooked. I use the frozen veggies and slightly boil it but it's not cooked. But I also buy regular (I try me best to get organic) fruits and veggies and give in to them as well.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
All fresh here, except the sweet potatoes, quinoa, rice, etc. If I use frozen, I do as BF does and just warm up a little in a cup with warm water.

Status
Not open for further replies.