• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Homemade Beak Appetit

Status
Not open for further replies.

f3ath3rs2

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Audra
Since they are supposedly closing their doors, I thought I'd make my own version as this is Little One's new favorite food! This is a good size for little beaks too.

1 1/2 C couscous
2C Water
1/4C Juice
Dashes of Cinnamon, Nutmeg, Ginger
2T honey
1/2-1C of shredded carrot
1/4C (uncooked) Barley - cooked separately
1/4C (uncooked) split green peas - cooked separately
1/4-1/2C unsweetened, organic applesauce

Cook the barley and split peas ahead of time.
Add the juice, water, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and honey together in a med saucepan and bring to a boil - once boiling, add couscous and shredded carrot. Remove from heat and let sit for 5 minutes. Stir in barley, split peas, and applesauce.
Yields ~6 cups of cooked food. Easy to freeze

Really you can use any extra ingredients you like (fruit, veggies, seeds, etc). The smell of this reminded me of calypso spice flavor from beak appetit. I would have liked to add raisins (seemed to fit the flavor) but Little One doesn't like them so it would have been a waset. You could also "hide" veggies or fruit your fids wont eat in the form of organic baby food and just mix into the cooked couscous - just don't add too much.

If anybody has tried to make their own version with different fruits, veggies, flavors etc, post them too!

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Audra that sounds very good. How did it turn out? We can add that to our recipe book on the forum!

f3ath3rs2

Real Name
Audra
I haven't fed it to them yet, I'll let you know as soon as I do though. It has all the goodies they like. As far as I can tell, reminds me of the beak appetit i've made so hopefully it's just as tasty for the fids!

Archiesmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
I'd be really interested in using this recipe if it turns out that its beak approved by the fids :) I didn't know anything about beak appetit until it was too late :eek:

f3ath3rs2

Real Name
Audra
Just a head's up, it'll probably go over well, my fids are not very picky... BUT I will let everybody know!! :)

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Victoria :)
wow, awesome recipe! Thank you!! I make a similar mix for my fids.
It has rice, barley, corn, beans, carrots, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, split green and yellow peas, and lentils as well. My fids really like it a lot and I make a huge batch to last a few months at a time (I keep it in the freezer, and have a small section in the refrigerator)

f3ath3rs2

Real Name
Audra
Well, the budgies thought this was quite fantastic and went back for 2nds today. Jeepers (gcc) didn't even try it yesterday but she also buried it with her other food so she might not have noticed. We'll know in the next couple days if little one (p'let) likes it as it is her new diet.

Status
Not open for further replies.