• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Home finally!

ccritter

Moving in
Real Name
Molly
Welp, I brought JP home! It's been two full days (three with the day she came home) and she's already an totally different bird than she was at the pet store/rescue. I was expecting that fully, and can't help but chuckle at how much of a cockatoo she is! Being home she's really blossomed and I'm kind of struggling to keep up. She's a plucker, first night home she pulled a blood feather. She chose me has her person much to my surprise! Some things I have keep up with are getting her on her perch and keeping her there. Plus watching her body language and making sure she isn't getting too worked up. I've noticed this happens really often with her! She's very easily "overstimmed" and tends to get aggressive (to everyone but me) She does well with a time out in her cage. I'm going to time to see how long it takes before she can come out again.

She's a huge chewer! I bought a fully wood toy and in under 15 minutes it was gone. That being said she doesn't care if theres a treat at the end of the chew, she's in it for the action (so all the cardboard I saved up in coming in handy!) The pet store workers were really concerned about her not stepping up, or whatever but she really is an easy bird. I say she's a "plucker, not a biter" because that seems to be her thing. I also want to try and get my mom to try and clicker train her with me because they could bond over that. (My mom is disappointed that JP took to me, but once seeing how much work she is- she's kind of okay with it)

Anyway, I'm super happy with her. Wouldn't trade her for the world- issues and all! I knew what I was getting into commitment wise, and I'm happy to be on this journey with this silly girl. We're currently sitting with each other listening to some calming music. It took her a minute to realize I was going to sit with her (and thus calm down) but it's for sure night time.

IMG_0960.JPG

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
She’s gorgeous, congratulations!

Aves

Rollerblading along the road