• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Holiday planning

Wardy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I thought i would share my plans for girls whilst we are away on holiday, we will be away for 16 days they will be getting cared for by my eldest son he has been back home for a few months so the girls are familiar with him ( however Mojo likes to atrack him )

1. Both cages will be given a deep clean 2 days before we go, with cages and perches all scrubbed and dissinfected.
2 the day before we go they will get a once over and a good wipe down.
3. I have been stategically moving KiKi's perches around for the last month as she does poo on her perches a lot Mojo is very aware and doesnt, i reckon i have got things spot on now.
4. There wont be any paper on there grates whilst we are away, the grates will be able to be able to be cleaned from underneath.
5. I will be cutting enough paper for the base tray bellow the grate to be changed daily to remove any poo thats dropped through the grate and any uneaten food.
6. I have bought a load of new toys that are tried and tested that will get added a few days before we go as well as some new never seen before toys.
7. I will be using 2 food bowls that can be filled twice daily with bits and pieces the girls like to play with nutz sammiches,finger traps,vine ball,lolly sticks, paper straws and vine rings.
Some of these things will have seed or nutriberry stuffed inside them.
I will be doing two bags a day for each of the girls the am bag and the pm bag to be put into the food bowl i will also be doing a suplementry daily bag that will have straws in that can just be given through the bars during the day evening.
8. I will be measuring out daily amount of pellets for both birds i will be increasing the amount given from there normal amount as any dropped will go through the grate so wont be able to be picked back up again in addition to there pellets i will be doing a daily nutriberry ration.
8. For the past week i have not fed any chop to observe if this would have a adverse effect on them they have both been fine with there pellet only diet they will now get chop again until 2 days before we go away.
9. Will be having a vet check this weekend to ensure nothing to worry about

My only regret is they wont be allowed out for this period of time and i am sure they will let there annoyance known when i get home ( thats a bridge i will cross when i get home ) however allowing them out would be a massive issue.

Any feedback appreciated

Hopefully this might give some food for thought for anyone planning a holiday.

I will miss the girls massively whilst i am away and hope they miss us just as much however i do believe at times there needs to be compromise and you deal with any problems if and when they occur ( to give the last comment some perspective the first time we went to Thailand our grandson got pneumonia and was in hospital you just deal with things as they occur)

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sounds to me like you've got just about everything covered! If it's not already maybe have your son put the vets number on speed dial and look up any after hour emergency hospitals that see parrots just in case something may come up.
I hope yall have a wonderful and enjoyable trip :heart:

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sounds to me like you've got just about everything covered! If it's not already maybe have your son put the vets number on speed dial and look up any after hour emergency hospitals that see parrots just in case something may come up.
I hope yall have a wonderful and enjoyable trip :heart:
I will speak to the vet from Thailand if needed if there are any concerns, i wont consider using any after hour vets after the experience i had with one of my dogs was disgusting. I need to be able to trust the person i would have caring for my girls and that wouldnt be the case.
They wont need a vet anyways they will be good.

Sparkles!

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I’m still so jealous of your trip!! I hope Omnicron doesn’t up end things for you- heard it’s ramping up over there.

It sounds as if you’ve got things well sorted. The only thing I’d add is to make sure the carer leaves some music or TV on for the girls. Some birds don’t do well being in so much quiet whilst their people are away.

Did you finally sell your tank? Or is the carer doing tank maintenance too?

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I’m still so jealous of your trip!! I hope Omnicron doesn’t up end things for you- heard it’s ramping up over there.

It sounds as if you’ve got things well sorted. The only thing I’d add is to make sure the carer leaves some music or TV on for the girls. Some birds don’t do well being in so much quiet whilst their people are away.

Did you finally sell your tank? Or is the carer doing tank maintenance too?
The radio will get left on for them during the day we do this now even though we work from home as we are upstairs.
Still got the tank speaking to my lfs tomorrow it looks like they are interested in taking it off me so hopefully it will be gone soon however there wont be anything needed to be done with it except feed the fish.
Hopefully will still get to go the Thai govt have stopped tourism at the moment with the exception of people already issued with travel documentation and we have got ours.

Nnbal

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Nnbal
It's nice to have someone you trust to entrust them to. I think this is the most important. Everything else will be fine.
Have a nice holiday. ♥

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
64 bags of food and 20 bags of foot toys all sorted 20220120_152409.jpg

Foot toys will be dropped into a food bowl through a bowl door that is normaly unused.
I have also cut 34 sheets of paper that will go in the tray under the cages grates.

Attachments

Sparkles!

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Leave the trash schedule out for the carer and extra bin bags!

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
Show your son how to get on here and post if he has any problems we might help with.