• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hole/Tear in Shoulder Area

Fluffaloo

Strolling the yard
Hey guys, I was helping preen fumbles today (still molting almost ready to get more flight feathers in :) ) and I noticed a small tear/hole like thing in her shoulder area. Her weight has been consistent and it doesnt look too inflamed. Has anyone ever seen anything like this before? Is this something she for sure needs to see the vet for or will it heal on its own with special care? Fumbles is still plenty active and doesnt mind when I touch around it (normally she is very vocal if she doesnt like something.)

Note: She is still only 9 months old.

I appreciate any advice.
IMG_6734.jpg IMG_6736.jpg IMG_6737.jpg IMG_6738.jpg

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
:bump7:

jh81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
Could be molding? Does she pluck in that area? If she’s otherwise fine i would keep an eye on it, but not wory much just yet :) just make sure it doesnt get worse :)

But im in no way a macaw expert, maybe @Macawnutz or @macawpower58 could help you out :)

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It looks to me that a feather was recently released from that area.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
It appears from those pictures that she also has a spot of fresh blood on her belly. What is that in the photos?
While I know you are concerned about that spot it would be very helpful to see a few photos of your whole bird. I looked back through your photos and all I found was her broken tail photos.
Lets get a look at her whole body condition and see if there are any other spots of concern.

Fluffaloo

Strolling the yard
She is molting. Im sorry I took the pic when she was wearing her diaper and so there is a red bow on her belly here are some full body pics of her. Also she hasn't been known to pluck. The bald spot kind of by the base of her wing has been there since I have had her so I wasnt sure if she hasnt grown feathers there yet or if it is just a weird spot.
IMG_6337.jpg IMG_6432.jpg IMG_6518.jpg IMG_6615.jpg IMG_6726.jpg