• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hole in the skin by the neck?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tangle Elf

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Is this right? It doesn't seem like it. Judy has a large hole in the skin on her neck. It's like if you looked at the neck fully stretched out and the skin wrapped the tendon separately from the rest of the neck. I only saw it on one side, toward the back of her neck. I didn't get a chance to look at the other side and I have to leave for work soon. It's nothing new or life threatening. I never noticed before because the skin is loose and makes it look normal. I can see how a vet would miss it if it's not normal because they take blood on the other side and it's where they would be holding her during an exam. If it's not normal, wtf? How does this happen? Please tell me this is normal and I just never noticed before. Or maybe it was an optical illusion, but I swear that's what I saw. I'll look closer tonight. At this point, not much would surprise me.

Feather Mom

Real Name
Gretchen
I thought Pepper had a hole in her neck before too. When I look closer it's just kinda an optical illusion. Where the back of her skull meets her neck.

Somebirdie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I don't have any advice, but just sending you well wishes that all is well!

Tangle Elf

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I thought Pepper had a hole in her neck before too. When I look closer it's just kinda an optical illusion. Where the back of her skull meets her neck.
I hope that's all it is. I looked at it and moved the feathers around. It just looked so strange. It is toward the base of her skull. When she leans her head down you can see the tendons and it looks like a 1 inch slit in between the tendons and her neck. I'll mess with it more tonight when i giver her the meds. If it was an old injury, it would explain why she bites after asking for scritches.

Theresa

AKA TMS
Administrator
Chief of Police
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If it's what I think it is, it's normal. It's the way the skin covers the neck and tendons, if they turn or stretch a certain way it creates a concave area.

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
If it's what I've seen it can look kind of scary & creepy. For 8 years with Pogo, I never really got that deep on his neck when giving scritches. Then with Quack & Darwin when they turn their heads to the side (cheek facing the floor), I am able to part the feathers and see a bare pink path from the jaw down each side of the neck. When they are upright the feathers look normal so I don't think any are missing. Then in some positions you see the weird hole, tendons, etc. As long as her skin is not actually broken, it sounds normal.

Tangle Elf

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I don't mean that otter a depression. I mean that there it appears to be a hole that i can see through between her neck and the tendons. Near where the depression is, but it looks like I could stick a finger through it. It's so weird. I can't wait to get home and check it out more. It was just so strange. Im inclined to believe it was an optical illusion, but what if it wasnt?

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
I don't mean that otter a depression. I mean that there it appears to be a hole that i can see through between her neck and the tendons. Near where the depression is, but it looks like I could stick a finger through it. It's so weird. I can't wait to get home and check it out more. It was just so strange. Im inclined to believe it was an optical illusion, but what if it wasnt?
Can you try to take a picture of it?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
It could be a burst airsac. They're not suppose to have holes anywhere on their neck so that warrants a check by the vet.

Tangle Elf

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Can you try to take a picture of it?
I will try when i get home. It reminds me of the people with large puercings in their ears when there isn't anything in it. It just kind of sage in a straight line.

Status
Not open for further replies.