• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hole in Neck ??

JordansMom

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Shannon Kelley
Hi all! New member here. I found a previous thread here regarding this question, but without photos I wasn’t sure if we were discussing the same thing. The photos show the “hole” in question. The photo at the end is me pointing to where it is. Jordan is a 23 year old male African grey who has been with us for a year now. This is the first I am seeing this. It’s a couple rows behind his red feathers and looks just like his ear hole. Is this normal?? He usually doesn’t want me back that far but he is itchy and getting new feathers so that’s why I was able to see it this time. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Yes, we have also contacted a vet. But it takes a while to get in. I don’t think this is an emergency situation as it doesn’t seem new or sore. But I am hoping it is something normal I just didn’t know about before. Thank you!

Attachments

Greylady1966

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Carol
By the neck area?

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
:welcome2: Shannon!

I wonder if it is an indent rather than a hole? I'm thinking an indent by the spine/neck bones? There shouldn't be an actual hole there. I'm going to have a look at my birds' necks tomorrow to see if I can spot something similar.

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
It’s a bit difficult to see with some of my birds, but I’ve had a few good looks and feel arounds on JoeJoe (Amazon) and don’t see anything like that at all. I tried to feel if there were any dips either side of the neck/top of the spine but I don’t think so.

I think it best if a vet checks Jordan over.