• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Holding poop, not wanting to go in cage

NorthernGannet

Sprinting down the street
So Sprite has been extremely nesty lately, to the point where I've had to make changes to lighting, etc. But he's also holding his poop and really isn't liking pooping in his cage, I guess to keep the "nest" clean. Example? He just now, at 5:00pm, did his FIRST poop of the day (hasn't been out of the cage all day today). It seriously is the nastiest thing you've ever seen, and it splatters everywhere because it's such a huge puddle of pudding (and apparently he drinks too much water, according to the vet, so that just exacerbates everything). Obviously I don't think this can be good for him long term.

If I take him out of the cage in the morning or anytime, he will go right away (it's still pudding, just not as much), but that's not a habit I want to form either. Is this my only choice, however? I'm going to start this unless there is something else to try. I don't have an option of a sleep cage and a day cage due to space. Any other ideas?

-NG

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I wrote to you on the other thread about Gigi waking at 7, but not having her first poop til 10-12. Our routine is to come out of the cage in the afternoon, so she does her big poop of the morning in the cage. I actually check to see if she has gone before I ask her if she wants to come out. It's really a mess.

Yeah 5PM seems crazy late for the first poop. Sounds logical that he's keeping his nest clean if he's in a nesty mood. Do you clean the cage paper daily? But it's not as if you can clean the bottom the moment he goes, you might not be around. I can't think of anything else except to try to keep the cage squeaky clean for him. Then maybe he'll go, assuming you'll take care of it soon.

NorthernGannet

Sprite used to be an around-noon pooper, and I wasn't too concerned about it. But recently he switched to this late in the day stuff. Yes, I clean daily but not always right after he's gone. If I ever get back to the office that timing wouldn't be practical anyway. Unless of course he starts holding it until 6 or 7 pm :) But for now, I can try that and see if it helps! Thanks :)

NorthernGannet

I should qualify that a bit. It's only late in the day if he's not been out of the cage. Since I'm still mostly working from home, many days I bring them out around 1pm, and then he goes right away of course.