• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hmmm.... idk what happened... help lol

Cookie_Cat

Moving in
I have a Amazon parrot and we have it for about 15 years which is how old my parrot is and me and my family ALWAYS thought it was a male, people would always tell us he was a male but for some reason this morning when i woke up (no too long before i'm making this post here) i saw an egg on "his" cage and.... idk what to do because apparently it's a female. They are the only bird we have. Is there anything i should do about it or with the egg? should i do something to take care of my bird now that i know is a female and can lay eggs now

Olliebirb

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Julia A
Since she laid an egg she’s going to need a good calcium source now. Cuttlebones are a great source of calcium. You should probably dispose of the egg. If she wants to lay on the egg, then get a fake one around the same size so that it doesn’t go bad.

Cookie_Cat

Moving in
Since she laid an egg she’s going to need a good calcium source now. Cuttlebones are a great source of calcium. You should probably dispose of the egg. If she wants to lay on the egg, then get a fake one around the same size so that it doesn’t go bad.
Thanks! I was kinda freaking out here because this never happened before (that's why my family thought she was male till this morning) and we didn't know if we should do something different to take care of her. She has a big calcium block on her cage so i think that would be okay as her calcium source. Sorry to ask that and it's okay if you don't know the answer but do you know if this will happen often? Or just some specific time of the year?

Again, thanks for helping :)

MnGuy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Don’t throw the egg away. Leave it for a few days and see if she sits on it.

If you take it away, many birds will lay a replacement egg, which is hard on their bodies.

Many birds (depending on the species) will lay a second egg two or three days after the first egg and then start sitting on them. (Some species lay more than two eggs.)

If your bird sits on her eggs let her sit on them and don’t bother her for up to 30 days, which is the incubation period. Then distract her with treats, take her to another room so she can’t see you and dispose of the eggs out of her sight. If she sees you trash them she could become upset with you.

Birds lay eggs in the spring and fall when the light changes.

Some birds won’t sit on the very first eggs they lay, but if they lay again they probably will sit on them. This is what my female grey was like.

There are many things you can do to try discouraging egg laying in the future. Too much to add here but you can find that info online.

Good luck.

Cookie_Cat

Moving in
Don’t throw the egg away. Leave it for a few days and see if she sits on it.

If you take it away, many birds will lay a replacement egg, which is hard on their bodies.

Many birds (depending on the species) will lay a second egg two or three days after the first egg and then start sitting on them. (Some species lay more than two eggs.)

If your bird sits on her eggs let her sit on them and don’t bother her for up to 30 days, which is the incubation period. Then distract her with treats, take her to another room so she can’t see you and dispose of the eggs out of her sight. If she sees you trash them she could become upset with you.

Birds lay eggs in the spring and fall when the light changes.

Some birds won’t sit on the very first eggs they lay, but if they lay again they probably will sit on them. This is what my female grey was like.

There are many things you can do to try discouraging egg laying in the future. Too much to add here but you can find that info online.

Good luck.
My mom threw away the egg this morning so we don't have it anymore and it was all cracked, so my mom threw away to clean her cage and she kinda did the opposite because bird saw my mom taking the egg away but it didn't seem like she cared, she also didn't lay on the egg, ofc idk what's going on on her head but seemed like she didn't care much but she's just a little more quiet today she's always screaming and tonight she's quieter than usual.

I didn't find much online about the period they lay eggs but now makes sense because it's fall where i live.

My mom and I didn't really know what to do because like i said we don't have another bird it's only this one (and we thought it was a male), so we still very confused and very new to this and we don't know much what to do.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
My mom threw away the egg this morning so we don't have it anymore and it was all cracked, so my mom threw away to clean her cage and she kinda did the opposite because bird saw my mom taking the egg away but it didn't seem like she cared, she also didn't lay on the egg, ofc idk what's going on on her head but seemed like she didn't care much but she's just a little more quiet today she's always screaming and tonight she's quieter than usual.

I didn't find much online about the period they lay eggs but now makes sense because it's fall where i live.

My mom and I didn't really know what to do because like i said we don't have another bird it's only this one (and we thought it was a male), so we still very confused and very new to this and we don't know much what to do.
They do not lay on the eggs straight away, they wont sit on the eggs till they have laid the full clutch. She will very possibly lay another egg to replace the lost one so in the future if eggs are laid do not throw them away as soon as you find them.

@Zara can hopefully link you to some helpful info to help you understand and also provide everything needed to keep your bird healthy. Egg laying takes a lot out of them and they do need a good source of calcium especially when laying.

MnGuy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran

Birds don’t need a mate or a male to lay eggs. They also don’t sit on them on them right away—they wait until they’ve laid all their eggs and then they sit, so that can begin three or more days after the first egg is laid.

Reactions: tka

Cookie_Cat

Moving in
They do not lay on the eggs straight away, they wont sit on the eggs till they have laid the full clutch. She will very possibly lay another egg to replace the lost one so in the future if eggs are laid do not throw them away as soon as you find them.

@Zara can hopefully link you to some helpful info to help you understand and also provide everything needed to keep your bird healthy. Egg laying takes a lot out of them and they do need a good source of calcium especially when laying.
Thanks! She layed only one egg since morning when we checked it and i didn't know about any of that, I'll make sure to not throw them away next time. They have a calcium block on her cage but they don't really eat it, i kinda have to "force" them to try (force is not a good word but i hope you know what i mean) because they have been ignoring it since i bought it. Thanks for the advices, if you have more I'd love to hear because we don't know anything about birds laying eggs and what to do.

Cookie_Cat

Moving in
Birds don’t need a mate or a male to lay eggs. They also don’t sit on them on them right away—they wait until they’ve laid all their eggs and then they sit, so that can begin three or more days after the first egg is laid.
Yeah i know but for over 10 years we thought they were a male today was a surprise and kinda shocking discovery! So let's say they layed their first egg today, they can do it again for the next 2 days? There's a chance where they can lay only one egg or is always more than one? Sorry if it's too many questions apparently I'm starting to learn about my own bird now lol

MnGuy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Yeah i know but for over 10 years we thought they were a male today was a surprise and kinda shocking discovery! So let's say they layed their first egg today, they can do it again for the next 2 days? There's a chance where they can lay only one egg or is always more than one? Sorry if it's too many questions apparently I'm starting to learn about my own bird now lol
There is a chance she’ll only lay one egg. There’s no way of telling. Just monitor her every day and don’t take away any future eggs right away. Give her a few days to see if she sits on them. If she doesn’t, then it’s ok to take them away.

BUT just because she doesn’t sit on them one time doesn’t mean she won’t sit on them next time.

Every time she lays eggs in the future, give her a few days to see what happens.

You can also replace them with fake eggs you can buy online or very large marbles (that can’t be swallowed) if they crack or to avoid cracking.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
It is normal for a hen to be quieter after laying an egg. In the wild they would have to be quite quiet as to not draw predator attention.
It is also a big strain on the body of a hen to lay an egg, so she will need to rest and recover.

Does your bird eat pellets? Any supplements?
Instead of the calcium block/cutttlebone, you would be better off with some carrots, kale, or other calcium rich foods (that will need to be coupled with some unfiltered sunlight if no vitamin D3 is present in the pellets/supplements.

This is a good article of what to watch out for (problems);

I don know anything species specific (incubation times, clutch numbers), but if you leave the egg with her, it's important to never allow the bird to incubate their egg for longer than the incubation period. Obviously, it will never hatch, so you need to mark the days to be sure you pull the plug when time is up because some bird will wait infintely for an infertile egg to hatch.

@Fuzzy @MommyBird @Love My Zons