• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Video Hissing or breathing issue?

mak143

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi folks,
New member here and I would like to check with the experts if what my female grey is doing in the attached video is hissing or whether she's having some breathing issue? I'd clarify that she's currently going through a molt and I can feel a lot of pin feathers around her neck. She's became less active and vocal after I boarded her with the breeder for a month and a half as I was away. She used to chatter a lot earlier but now just sits quite mostly with her head tucked in her neck. I'm hoping it's just due to molting and not something serious. Her diet is usually a chop of kale, broccoli, carrot, sweet potato, etc. She also has pellets and other treats such as nuts and seeds. Poop seems file as well as of today. Looking forward to hearing from you all.

Cheers Mak

Snowghost

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
I'm not an expert, however a change in behavior could be a sign of illness. How long has she been like this? The place she was boarded might have had a sick bird. I would do a vet check to be safe. Breathing like that shouldn't be due to molting. Tucking her head and not chattering is also a change in her behavior. I had a cockatiel that acted depressed. I felt like a fool telling the vet but it turned out she had an infected preening gland. Birds will hide being ill.

mak143

Checking out the neighborhood
Thanks for your replies. Upon reading more on bird behaviour during molting it is very much matching how Zoha is behaving. Her breathing is normal with mouth closed but just when we go next to her she'll make the hissing sound. The vet I want to take her to is closed until 25th Apr so I'll have to see how she goes otherwise will take her in emergency.