• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

His first trick!

Spearmint

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
While i'm ashamed to say it...i've never trained Spearmint any tricks before, he'd always been too moody and bitey to train, he'd just snatch the treat and fly away. I'm not sure what clicked in either mine or his head, but I successfully trained him to spin yesterday afternoon within 15 minutes. The only real 'trick' i've taught, but even then it wasn't really taught he kind of just learened it accidentally, was to poop on command. I'm really happy with this little bit of progress, and hoping I can start working on bigger things later on such as continuing his harness training, or proper recalls. He's been super nervous when flying after he'd hit a window during a spook, so we're working on that again. I'll try film him spinning, it looks really funny, but he find the phone way or interesting than any treats I have to offer :roflmao:

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Now that he has the concept down of learning tricks for whatever high value treat he craves he'll probably quickly learn more so keep working with him and hopefully the nippiness will lesson as he keeps being kept busy and entertained with new fun things to do.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
While i'm ashamed to say it...i've never trained Spearmint any tricks before, he'd always been too moody and bitey to train, he'd just snatch the treat and fly away. I'm not sure what clicked in either mine or his head, but I successfully trained him to spin yesterday afternoon within 15 minutes. The only real 'trick' i've taught, but even then it wasn't really taught he kind of just learened it accidentally, was to poop on command. I'm really happy with this little bit of progress, and hoping I can start working on bigger things later on such as continuing his harness training, or proper recalls. He's been super nervous when flying after he'd hit a window during a spook, so we're working on that again. I'll try film him spinning, it looks really funny, but he find the phone way or interesting than any treats I have to offer :roflmao:
That is really awesome!
Spin is the one thing Burt and I can never seem to get anywhere on. I would love to see your footage if you manage to get it at any point of time.

Wally&Eva

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
My babies learned shake hands, kiss kiss and spin in a few minutes! They are sooo cute when they do a perfect synchronized spin! Eva is easier to teach because Wally is impatient and frantic. But lately, she’s been like give me after 1 trick where Wally accepts that there are 3 tricks and then he will get his treat. If I could ever separate them, I could probably teach Eva so much more

Spearmint

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
My babies learned shake hands, kiss kiss and spin in a few minutes! They are sooo cute when they do a perfect synchronized spin! Eva is easier to teach because Wally is impatient and frantic. But lately, she’s been like give me after 1 trick where Wally accepts that there are 3 tricks and then he will get his treat. If I could ever separate them, I could probably teach Eva so much more
Awh thats so cute!

Spearmint

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
That is really awesome!
Spin is the one thing Burt and I can never seem to get anywhere on. I would love to see your footage if you manage to get it at any point of time.
I'll try get a video tomorrow morning! :)

Spearmint

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
Now that he has the concept down of learning tricks for whatever high value treat he craves he'll probably quickly learn more so keep working with him and hopefully the nippiness will lesson as he keeps being kept busy and entertained with new fun things to do.
Hopefully! I think in a day or two i'll try another simple trick, like continuing target training, or shake, he likes to hold my thumb so I think that should be fairly easy.

Wally&Eva

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
Hopefully! I think in a day or two i'll try another simple trick, like continuing target training, or shake, he likes to hold my thumb so I think that should be fairly easy.
Shake will be easy, you got this! Once they get it in their heads, it just clicks