• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hi there! I’m a new rainbow lorikeet Mum!

Birdforme

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Belinda
Hi everyone. Thanks for letting me join. I’ve adopted a little hand raised 4 month old rainbow lorikeet who was living in a rowdy house with a 1 & a 2 year old who kept trying to grab at him.

I decided that our house would be a nicer place for him. I have semi teen girls & a 7 month old little boy but we aren’t a rowdy house. We’re all introverts so it’s pretty quiet here

Since I brought him home he’s been curious & looking around, rolling around playing with his toys & chirping a lot. He comes out of his cage & walks around the floor but he won’t let us near him or touch him. I expect this is related to his last home.

Any advice as to how to help him acclimatise himself to his new home would be really appreciated. Poor little thing is just a baby & so much change and upheaval already! Hopefully we can give him some stability.

Attachments

Skyandkiwi

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Misk
Welcome to AA!:welcome:

Tvdv96

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tessa
Welcome! :welcomeavenue: glad you could take him in :)
He looks really cute, what's his name? :heart:

Birdforme

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Belinda
His name is Oscar but we’ve been calling him Ozzie for short.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue Belinda and Ozzie! :starshower1:

jh81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
Welcome!

for now, just leave him be :) let him get his bearings and get used to your house first. Then in a few weeks you can start trying to give him jummy things and see if he takes them from your hand. But the best advice for now: go slow :) hes young, you have many years ahead of you :)

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome! If you know anything about his prior care, try to keep things the same until he settles in more. Same bedtime, food, etc. Spend time just sitting with him and even reading to him (or have your daughter) to help get him used to attention and voices in a nonthreatening way. You can also play some music for him.

IRNluv

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Olivia
Hi and welcome to AA! I rescued an IRN from a similar situation not too long ago. He's still coming along but has made amazing progress in a short time. A friend of mine who works with birds advised us to introduce target training as a means to build a foundation of trust and as a stepping stone to other training. You can search "target training parrots" on YouTube to see tutorials on it. You're also welcome to read the thread on my guy to see if there are any ideas you can use.

dollfish

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Zeynep Dollfish
LOVE lories! :bounce4: :smileflower:

Welcome!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
Welcome

Birdforme

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Belinda
T
Welcome! If you know anything about his prior care, try to keep things the same until he settles in more. Same bedtime, food, etc. Spend time just sitting with him and even reading to him (or have your daughter) to help get him used to attention and voices in a nonthreatening way. You can also play some music for him.
Thanks heaps for the tips. I’ll give it a go!

Birdforme

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Belinda
A
Hi and welcome to AA! I rescued an IRN from a similar situation not too long ago. He's still coming along but has made amazing progress in a short time. A friend of mine who works with birds advised us to introduce target training as a means to build a foundation of trust and as a stepping stone to other training. You can search "target training parrots" on YouTube to see tutorials on it. You're also welcome to read the thread on my guy to see if there are any ideas you can use.

Awesome! I’ll check it out

Birdforme

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Belinda
Welcome!

for now, just leave him be :) let him get his bearings and get used to your house first. Then in a few weeks you can start trying to give him jummy things and see if he takes them from your hand. But the best advice for now: go slow :) hes young, you have many years ahead of you :)
Yep we’re not pushing him too much atm. He’s happy to walk around the floor if we’re in the room which I guess is a good start.