• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hi! Quick Q :)

KoS_Kagaru

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Josh
My baby came home! She seems to only want to be on her giant Java perch stand. She tries everything to get to it. I don’t mind, I’m right next to her on the couch. But I s this still bonding time for us? When she starts to fall asleep I’ll get her and she’ll be content with me and cuddle for a few until she awakens too much. It’s only been a day I’ve had her of course. This is normal right?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I think you need to wait a little longer before you know what's going on.

Patience. Did I mention patience

KoS_Kagaru

Real Name
Josh
I think you need to wait a little longer before you know what's going on.

Patience. Did I mention patience
Nothing is “going on” —she’s doing great.
My question was if that is a way to bond. Patience is obvious with our lovely
bird friends. :)

Monaco

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
I thought she was already with you. She's so young still, just finished handfeeding, right? I suspect it's tough just getting accustomed to the planet! Maybe just be available to help her get to where she wants to be until you get a routine and get to know each other. Monaco is my only point of reference, and is pretty dependent since she's not flighted and set in her ways. She will show you how and when she wants interaction. Keep in mind their normal state for much of the year is solitary and defensive. Just follow her lead, and let her body language and verbal cues tell you what she wants. Until you know her you won't really know what's normal (going on) for her.

KoS_Kagaru

Real Name
Josh
Hey @Monaco !!!

She wasn’t with me per say, but I would visit her a few hours a day when she was on formula with her breeder.
FYI I super appreciated your response and I’m back for an update. :p

So she is doing very well, she still much prefers her tree stand. She is at the point now where she will ask to come out of the cage and hang out on a window sill, or the tree stand. We play with her toys and she seems to growl some, I can’t tell if she’s having fun or hating it. She doesn’t bite hard, and I still try to redirect that back to her toys lol.

She saw the breeder the other day and become a total baby. Kissed, cooed and cuddled her and got a ton of pets. I’d be lying to say I wasn’t a little jealous! It was so sweet to see, and she was almost a different bird.

Do you think she will warm up to that level with me? Or atleast want to hang out with me some of the day. I know it is still so early.

Everyone here is so wonderful and helpful. Thank you again!!!

Monaco

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
I do think she will adjust to you being primary partner in crime. It's not a bad thing at all in the long run to not have the super dependent, cuddly relationship. It can and likely would develop to the point of a frustrating situation at breeding season.

You'll get the hang of her vocalizations, Monaco has several little growls and a few serious ones....most of them relate to various levels of frustration, the food bowl growl is my absolute favorite, and probably the least dangerous except for whatever she's about to throw out of the dish!